Books for future lab puppy owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books for future lab puppy owner

khk410 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBooks for future lab puppy owner

I'm planning and hoping to get a chocolate puppy in June. I'm beginning my research in preparation for my puppy and I wanted to ask you all what books you recommend for puppies/dogs or lab puppies/dogs? I read the stickie for "Our Best Advice" but I didnt see any books about puppies, though I could have missed it. I'm so excited about getting a puppy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dedfish is offline Junior Member

The Culture Clash - Jean Donaldson
    Don't Shoot The Dog - Karen Pryor
    Before and After You Get Your Puppy - Ian Dunbar

Those are the my 3 top book recommendations for anyone considering getting a dog.

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

I would also read around on this forum, I researched lab's to the extreme but when my puppy started acting crazy this was the only place that helped. You will get much more from real life experiences than from a book. Lab puppies can be a lot of work more than i ever expected. I dont' regret my puppy but do wish i had found this forum first to prepare myself better.

Amanda

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2CrazyDogs is offline Member

Good Owners, Great Dogs is a good book. Also, leerburg.com, also has a ton of information that he's written about dogs (he's been training them for over 30 years), puppies, and pretty much anything you've ever wanted to know about them.

Angel- Lab/Boxer/Husky
    Demon- Lab/Boxer/GSD
    ~Ashley~

khk410 is offline Junior Member

Thanks guys!

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mandaz000 View Post
    I would also read around on this forum, I researched lab's to the extreme but when my puppy started acting crazy this was the only place that helped. You will get much more from real life experiences than from a book. Lab puppies can be a lot of work more than i ever expected. I dont' regret my puppy but do wish i had found this forum first to prepare myself better.
    ^^^
    Ditto, I have learned so much here. When I came here I thought my Gracie was this crazy dog, she was my second lab. My first lab was pretty laid back, I had never experienced a very, very mouthy dog, then I learned she was just like a lot of other dogs here and I didn't feel so bad. There were so many members here that eased my fears and gave great advice....and a lot of compassion too. They reassured me everything would be ok, Gracie was normal I felt right at home.
    Last edited by lisa; 01-18-2011 at 03:58 PM.

puppymakes4 is offline Member

I don't know how folks feel about Cesar Millan, but I will recommend his puppy book, How To Raise The Perfect Dog. My husband and I both read it and implemented many of Cesar's advice points from the beginning. We think it really made a difference for us. Advice we liked: how to help Scout adjust to her crate (she loves it now), general info about puppy growth stages, etc.
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

Tanya is offline Senior Member

haha, I agree take a a quick look at all the threads in this section on common issues with lab puppies (biting, house breaking, chewing...)

I agree iwth Dedfish's 2 first book recommendations. My best advice though is to read more than one point of view, read as many different types of training books and dog training philosphy as possible so you are not streemlined into one singular way of thinking/training. Also read up on dog personality to learn how they think to better understand them
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

puppymakes4 is offline Member

Also read up on dog personality to learn how they think to better understand them
    That is a good suggestion that reminded me: I also read Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz. Very good! Now when Scout is smelling up a storm I always remember that section in the book and have a minute understanding of what is so fascinating to her.
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My recommendation to all my puppy buyers is "How to raise a puppy you can live with" by Clarice Rutherford. It's not a lab book, but it's a great general puppy book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast