Pup doesn't seem to like toys.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pup doesn't seem to like toys.

pyrotech is offline Member

DefaultPup doesn't seem to like toys.

Snoogans is about 8 weeks old, and she just arrived in her new home 2 days ago. She doesn't seem to be very energetic for a puppy, though she may just be adjusting to her new surroundings. From time to time I can get her to play a little; she seems to like jumping on tennis balls a bit. However, I can't seem to get her to chew on any toys. She will chew on her blanket from time to time, which is okay with me since it's not coming apart in her mouth. She likes to chew on other sheets (I have tapestries over furniture and as curtains), corners of walls, the side of the fridge, electrical wires... you know, the things I end up spraying with bitter apple to keep her from chewing on them. But I've given her ropes, balls, rubber frisbees, and now a kong-like chew toy that she just doesn't seem to have any interest in. I've stuffed peanut butter in her toy and spread some on her rope, but she doesn't seem to like peanut butter. I've put some deli sliced ham in her kong toy, and she likes to lick the easier meat out of it, but she won't really get into getting the meat deeper into the toy. I've put a bit of cream cheese in the toy, and she'll lick at that until it's gone, but then she doesn't want anything to do with the toy.
    Today I got her a stuffed toy with a squeaker. It took her about 8 minutes of hardcore play to start ripping the stuffing out of it, which prompted me to throw the toy out so she doesn't eat the stuffing.
    She seems to like the plush toy, so I'm going to try and find her a few that she can play with that she might like.
    I got her a strip of beef rawhide, which she loved, until I saw that it started flaking. I then read online that rawhide is horrible for puppies because she can break her teeth on them, so I had to take it away.
    I offered her a piece of ice. She licked at it once and walked away.
    Now she's back to taking naps. From time to time I'll look over and just see her sigh. She likes to lay on me and sleep more, but it would be really nice if she could be active during the day, chew on a few toys, or maybe play with me. In my mind, the more tired she is at night after playing, the more likely she is to sleep and not whine / cry in her kennel all night.

I'm a little concerned about her not wanting to play much and being lethargic most of the day, so a trip to the vet may be appropriate in the near future. She's not really having BM's after a couple hours after eating, so it worries me that maybe she's not feeling well. Then again, it could also be anxiety of a new home. She's my first pup, so I'm not totally sure what to expect. It would be nice to get her to play with a few toys from time to time though so I know her teething process is going well!

Any suggestions on toys to try that she might enjoy? Kind of a bummer to see her really enjoy the rawhide and stuffed toy, only to have to take them away from her within several minutes. As long as she doesn't resent me for it, haha.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

A trip to the vet within a day or 2 of getting a new puppy is expected. Did your breeder not tell you that?

Have you tried a nylabone? Most puppies like them and they are hard so no chunks will break off that can cause her harm. Often little puppies don't know what to do with toys initially.

Also - she has undergone a dramatic change in her life being taken away from the enironment she knew in her litter. Give her a week or so to warm up to your house.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thank you for the info! No, I wasn't told to bring her to the vet within the first week; only that she's going to need her next round of shots in 2 weeks. I got her from a Petco adoption event; she was just transferred to the shelter that brought her there.
    To be honest, the vet tech running the adoption event wasn't very informative. I asked what kind of food to get, and she told me she couldn't really recommend any brands. I talked with a customer instead who was also shopping for dog food.
    I got information today on a local vet by neighbors with 3 very healthy looking dogs, so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning to try and get her in tomorrow or as soon as possible.

I haven't tried a nylabone yet. I'll give it a shot!

I've already got several questions for the vet, but is there anything you can think of that I should ask the vet to check out? I'm sure they'll be more than equipped to help me out being a first-time new pup owner, but I'd like to be prepared as well. I wanna make sure she's healthy and happy!
    Last edited by pyrotech; 01-17-2011 at 10:17 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Even more important that she see a vet promptly.

You'll need to bring a fresh poop sample with you so that they can evaluate whether she has worms or not. (Most puppies need to be wormed). Just use a ziploc baggie. Don't pick up and old one - the worms may not be present anymore if it sat around a while.

The vet will check her out all over, record her weight, check her for flea dirt - a bunch of things. If she is still acting lethargic ask about that. If she is eating normally and peeing/pooping regularly then she's probably ok - just zonked from the change in environment. But - some disease can make a puppy lethargic so if she still seems to be mention it.

You should be careful to not allow your puppy to be in public places where unvaccinated or ill dogs may have been - this means no walks around the block, no dog park, no being on the floor at the vet's (hold her in your arms) until she has more vaccinations in her. Parvo, which can be deadly, can live on surfaces. Do get her around other safe (you know that they have been vaccinated) dogs and puppies as it's important to socialize her. Having her around other people and in a variety of environments matters too.

Did they tell you how often to feed her? Puppies that age need 3 meals a day - morning, noon and night. When she gets a bit older you can cut back to 2 - but stay at 2. It is better for the dog to eat twice a day than once.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

First off - I LOVE her name If you are looking for a rawhide like bone you can try a bully stick. It pretty much dissolves as she's chewing it. Spike was very sleepy for the first couple of weeks. Personally I would stay away from deli meats at this age because of the salt content. We also started out with wee wee pads - puppies drink and pee ALOT so have a place where she can go on her own. How many times during the night do you let her out you potty? Also be very very careful. Both chocolate and artificial sweeteners are dangerous to doggies. Canine's Corner - Artifical Sweetners Can Be Harmful To Your Dog, 7 Questions About Dogs and Chocolate | Dog Topics. We got spike from a local breeder and he came being treated for roundworm - their mom passes it on so it's pretty common. Like Brown said - a fresh poop sample is very helpful for the vet. If you can you might want to look into pet insurance. Since you really don't know the history of your pup it may come in handy. Good Luck!

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Even more important that she see a vet promptly.

You'll need to bring a fresh poop sample with you so that they can evaluate whether she has worms or not. (Most puppies need to be wormed). Just use a ziploc baggie. Don't pick up and old one - the worms may not be present anymore if it sat around a while.

The vet will check her out all over, record her weight, check her for flea dirt - a bunch of things. If she is still acting lethargic ask about that. If she is eating normally and peeing/pooping regularly then she's probably ok - just zonked from the change in environment. But - some disease can make a puppy lethargic so if she still seems to be mention it.

You should be careful to not allow your puppy to be in public places where unvaccinated or ill dogs may have been - this means no walks around the block, no dog park, no being on the floor at the vet's (hold her in your arms) until she has more vaccinations in her. Parvo, which can be deadly, can live on surfaces. Do get her around other safe (you know that they have been vaccinated) dogs and puppies as it's important to socialize her. Having her around other people and in a variety of environments matters too.

Did they tell you how often to feed her? Puppies that age need 3 meals a day - morning, noon and night. When she gets a bit older you can cut back to 2 - but stay at 2. It is better for the dog to eat twice a day than once.
    ^^^^
    That.

Thank you for your replies. The local vet opens in 30 mins, so I'll call and see if they can get her in this morning / early afternoon. I grabbed a stool sample last night (well, 4:30 this morning) in a ziplock baggie, in case she could make it in early this morning. From yesterday and this morning, she hasn't been eating as much. Last night she didn't touch her food, and this morning she ate maybe 1/4 cup of her food, so that has me pretty worried. Even more reason why I'm hoping the vet can take her in this morning. :-)

They didn't tell me how often to feed her. I looked on the bag of food, which said to feed 2 - 3 cups, split over 3 meals as a puppy. I've been giving her a cup of food each meal, and leaving her bowl down for about 10 - 15 minutes so she can get on a regular feeding schedule.

As for taking her outside, I couldn't for the life of me get her to go on her papers indoors. She went on the carpet a couple times, and in her kennel at night, but I couldn't get her to go on her papers, even waiting about an hour with her in her bathroom (I've got a 2-br, 2-ba house for just her and me, so she gets her own bathroom... lol). I took her outside and she immediately went, and has been pretty good about going outside since, as long as I take her out every couple of hours. I'm still learning the difference between her "curiosity sniffing" and her "I'm gonna go RIGHT HERE!!" sniffing. When other dogs approach, I don't let her sniff them. I don't let her sniff other dogs' messes, and don't venture very far from my apartment (50 feet from the door tops). So far she totally loves snow, and is getting quite skilled at climbing stairs.

I'm trying to find a way to socialize her with other healthy puppies. I've been looking online for some type of meetup group, but since I live in a somewhat rural / tourist town, I'm not finding much. I'll ask the vet today what she recommends.

I did see bully sticks at the pet supply shop, near the beef rawhide. The beef rawhide looked tastier at the time, so I got that for her. She loved it for the few minutes she chewed on it, until I saw it flaking. That's when I looked online to see if it was okay for pups, and pretty much everywhere I looked said no. Lesson learned. I'll grab her some bully sticks today and see how she likes them.

I hadn't heard of pet insurance; I'll look into it for her. I'm sure the shots and trips to the vet are gonna add up quickly.

Thanks again for all your info, I'll report back after the vet!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Good luck, glad to hear that you are taking her in!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

So Snoogans's first visit to the vet went really well. She was treated with liver treats and lots of pets and "you're so cute"s. I was told that she's probably got a bit of sharpei or pit mix with her as well.

I was told that she is a great weight (15.3 lbs) and that the reason she has been lethargic is probably that she hasn't been eating lately. They noticed that her skin was a bit flaky, and looks as though she has dandruff (she does look this way, and it's gotten a bit worse since I got her), so I was recommended a different food to give her, with fish in it. It's a wheat-free food, as they said she may just be having an allergy problems to her kibble. I grabbed some dry food and some canned food to mix with it, and some treats. They are salmon and sweet potato based. They told me that she may just not like her food, since she went right for the treats they offered her like there was no tomorrow. We got her some bully sticks, and a compressed rawhide that the vet said should be fine for her to chew on.

I picked her up a plush toy that says should hold up to 100lbs. She seemed to like it a lot at the vet's office, so hopefully she'll be more apt to play with me with it and we can get her all riled up. I'm going to grab her a Kong toy next time I'm at wal-mart tonight on the way home from work. Hopefully I can find some flavored paste to go into it, since she seems to have loved cream cheese, but if it's not good for her, maybe a substitute will work.

When I got home, I realized that I brought in a stool sample, but it was never tested (and I accidentally left it on the counter at the vet's office... whoops!). The vet didn't seem very concerned that she may have worms, and thinks it's more likely that she just didn't like the food.

I've got her another appointment set up next Monday to get her next round of vaccinations, and was told there was availability in the next couple of days. I can just go back in if she doesn't show improvement.

I asked about getting her socialized, and was told there's a sort of "puppy kindergarten" right down the street from me, so I'll look into that to get her to meet other puppies around her age, and hopefully I can meet a few other owners that may want to have puppy play dates. There was a chihuahua at the vet today that Snoogans met, and she started to sort of snip at him, so she's going to have to be watched pretty closely.

When it comes to meeting other puppies, I'm a bit worried that she's going to nip. I'm hoping to start her in classes pretty young so we can stop this early (too corny to 'nip in the bud'). Nobody likes a dog that bites. But at least we found a toy that she seemed to like to bite for now!

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

We're starting kindergarten today - I'll let you know how it goes. Since I live near the water I'm hoping the other dogs in his class will be labs - or at least big. I'm hoping to get some play dates going too - he is really missing playing with other dogs

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast