Just Labradors banner

Digging in the yard.

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  lisa 
#1 ·
One of my labs started digging in the yard. he digs in the vegetable boxes, at the base of the trees and in flower beds. he did it for a while 3-4 months ago and we managed to stop him ( i used the granules you get at Home Depot) but he started again and is doing it a lot.

is it related to a deficiency in the diet?
what is the best way to make him stop?

#4 ·
don't leave him in the yard unsupervised.

So my dad gave a corner of the yard to the dogs and would bury bones and toys in that area and let them dig those up. When they would start digging somewhere else he would lead them over to their area again and again. Soon they learned which area they could dig up and often found treats that were worth digging up. No more holes in the yard.
Exactly this. Some dogs are just diggers. Especially if unattended in the yard. I would consider a sandbox, like this: Linky. They are not hard to make, and I'm sure he could help you dig it out.. lol

#3 ·
My dad would bury poop in the holes our dogs would dig growing up and that always stopped them, but it didn't stop them from making new holes lol. So my dad gave a corner of the yard to the dogs and would bury bones and toys in that area and let them dig those up. When they would start digging somewhere else he would lead them over to their area again and again. Soon they learned which area they could dig up and often found treats that were worth digging up. No more holes in the yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.