When Will I be Able to trust Daisy?!?!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Will I be Able to trust Daisy?!?!?

Cshipman83 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhen Will I be Able to trust Daisy?!?!?

My husband and I could really use some advice!!!

Our black lab Daisy is 10 months old. She is a VERY VERY sweet puppy but she is sooo very bad. Think of Marley and she's a few steps worse. She is completely crate trained and gets walked for an hour each day. The exercise has REALLY helped with her behavior. We have gone through 12 weeks of group puppy training and 1 private session. My biggest concern is that she currently is only allowed downstairs in the living room with baby gates up. This has been a huge hassle because we have to spend our entire evening in the living room because we can't trust her. The few times we have left her for literally 2-3 minutes (long enough to run grab something from upstairs) she has chewed up remotes, my $150 tennis shoes and my husbands very nice sunglasses. We try to do a very good job of removing all temptations, but how long do we have to live like this? I am longing for the day when we can trust her in the house at least when we are home. We also have a VERY large fenced in backyard and she has completely uprooted EVERYTHING!!!! We buy her toys often, but she destroys them within seconds....the only toys that survive are hard bones and nylabones and kongs...

I would LOVE and very much appreciate any advice or hope for how long this stage will last!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

More exercise and a watchful eye. She is still very young to be left unattended. Good luck!!

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Huh, sounds like she is a high energy pooch! We actually just let our dog stay in the living room (with baby gate up) for an hour, then afternoon then 8 hours this past week. He is just about 8 months. Up until now he's been either in his kennel, or in an x-pen in the kitchen. I'd say slow increments are best...
    Another idea for chewing are Hooves. I don't know the brand, but in Canada you can buy them at most pet stores and Safeway. They are filled with chicken or turkey treats and once they 'treat' part is gone, dog can chew on hoof. One hoof has literally lasted us MONTHS.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

More exercise and supervision. Rookie is going on 4 and still can't be left to his own devices at times.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

lisa is offline Senior Member

Maybe a little more exercise...a game of fetch in the back yard will tire her out. Gracie was Marley X10, she was quite a handful. She is 2 and I can leave her alone for the most part, although she still has her moments. Don't stress too much, Daisy is still young to be left unattended too long...it gets better

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

You've really got to give her time she's still a baby. Some one mentioned slow "tests" and that's true. Give her two rooms and put the water bowl in the second room, when she roams in there be sneaky to make sure she's just going for water. That's one thought anyway.
    My 13 year old will be crated till the day he dies... that's not a mean statment it's just fact. I have a small house and for the most part he won't try anything unless we both go upstairs (like two nights ago... he ate my desert!) or outside.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Truly not meant to be mean.
    Exercise.
    More exercise.
    Repeat above two
    More times.
    Watch like a hawk.
    Contract with another hawk to back you up.
    Based on what you wrote, you are not lab proofing the house well enough.
    We started trusting Hershey Kisses at 11 months. She didn't earn her freedom until almost 18 months old.
    Of course, by that time she had us totally trained as to what Lab Proof meant, and our bad habits were totally corrected.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

HersheyK's Dad- Thanks for the advice. Can you further explain what you meant about Lab Proofing??? Did you lab proof the whole house? what does this mean....never leaving anything misc on the floor?? Did your lab have free reign of the house or just one room??? Thanks for your thoughts!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

some dogs are just much worse about chewing that others. One option is to tether her so you can move around more easily while she is still near you by force.

More exercise, but not more walking. Walks are just a warm up for labs that age and not "true" exercise. Not that walking isn't a great part of daily exercise (it is structured exercise) but that alone does not allow alot of young dogs to really expend energy.

If you can find a way to let the pup run, stuff like a dog park, play dates with friend's dogs, playing fetch, offleash walks (if there is a safe area), etc. Something were puppy really gets to run.

Your dog may also need more daily MENTAL stimluation. Training classes are one way to do this, or just practice training at home (new tricks, review those they kow) or some games (there are brain teaser games for dogs but still like hide and seak work as well).

But again, some dogs are bullet proof at the age of 5mts while others will never be fully reliable. So it isn't just a question of comparing one dog to another, as each dog will be different. Rocky (my dog) is fine when I am at home, but was crated when I was out of the house until around 5 years of age (there were a few trial periods but he would still end up getting into things so he went back to cratig).

Dog proofing will vary by dog but yes, in your case it means a room with nothing on the ground or at a level he can reach. For me it means child proof locks on some kitchen cupboards and dog food/treats are as high as possible or behind a solid door. For other dogs it means yes, no remotes on couch or shoes on teh floor. My two fosters are pretty bad for that (they got my shoes while I was in the shower) so they are crated or I have to put my shoes in the closet and put the remote on the counter.
    Last edited by Tanya; 01-14-2011 at 02:20 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Keep them coming! I hadn't thought about trying 20 min then and hour and staging up the time we trust her. Also, are these Hooves that maloneandme mentioned safe to feed Daisy???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast