Found a great harness for a puller/jumper
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a great harness for a puller/jumper

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Thumbs upFound a great harness for a puller/jumper

SENSE-ible Dog Harness

I was reluctant to try another harness since the one we had before didn't work, though that was a back clip, this one clips in the front of their chest. The vet recommended this after the quick neuro exam she did for Diesel for his leg tremors, she thinks perhaps because he is a puller a nerve could be getting pinched in his neck when he pulls or I try to control him on just a collar/leash combo.

So we've had it since last Wednesday and wow! What a difference, this really is like power-steering. I am able to better control his speed, his direction (he always crossed in front of me... annoying!) and best of all his jumping up at people. It clips in the front so the lead crosses his chest, if someone is approaching that will pass him on his side I simply move the lead to the side the person will pass him on so that I have better control by reeling him towards me. It has so far worked like a charm!

Personally for us, the Gentle Leader or Halti Gentle Leader Headcollar did not work as Diesel would grind his teeth the entire time & all I could think of was future vet dental bills or stress treatments for him!

The only fix for him biting or grabbing his leash is still the Pet Corrector Pet Corrector though not everyone agrees with this, I find it works rather well & is really just a loud "SHH" sound similar to what Cesar Millan utters, but a louder, sharper "SHH" than what I seem to be able to utter! I only have to use it once on the entire walk (using it in conjunction with "leave it") & not everyday, just as a reminder every other week it seems.

Nice to finally be able to enjoy our walks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

puppymakes4 is offline Member

Thanks for the suggestion. We've been having increasing trouble with Scout pulling on her walks, so we may give this a try.
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

Dani is offline Senior Member

There is also something called Obedience Classes. Roxy...that was better than any harness for Rider's pulling.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

What size did you get for Diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    There is also something called Obedience Classes. Roxy...that was better than any harness for Rider's pulling.
    Dani, we have gone to Obedience Classes, he went through puppy then intermediate. While we both learned a lot of things & he excels at 90% of it, unfortunately the pulling & jumping issues continue. Until I can afford to take him back for more training (at a much better facility - we did Petsmart, which I would not recommend to anyone) a $20 harness is our best choice until the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpianAbarth View Post
    What size did you get for Diesel?
    I got him a medium. I had to put it at its tightest all around but figured it better to do that to a medium than put a small at its biggest just to have to get another when he grows! I have to pinch $$ where I can these days.

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I got him a medium. I had to put it at its tightest all around but figured it better to do that to a medium than put a small at its biggest just to have to get another when he grows! I have to pinch $$ where I can these days.
    Zack looks a similar size to Diesel. I really want one, but when I go to order it it doesn't come up as an option to ship to the UK

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpianAbarth View Post
    Zack looks a similar size to Diesel. I really want one, but when I go to order it it doesn't come up as an option to ship to the UK
    You can also try the easy walk harness. That is what Aspen uses. Looks to be the same thing. I don't know if they ship to the UK or not. Aspen has a medium but any time now we will have to move up to the large since the medium is on the biggest setting. She's 7 months.

Amanda

brody is offline Senior Member

Easy walk actually fits quite differently then sensible harness .. similar principle but each dog wears them a little differently

Sally cannot wear a collar so she wears a sensation harness .. but she isn't allowed to pull anyhow and is expected to walk properly
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    .. but she isn't allowed to pull anyhow and is expected to walk properly
    LOL !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast