Where can I look for puppy kindergartens?

Thread: Where can I look for puppy kindergartens?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhere can I look for puppy kindergartens?

We had Spike signed up to start yesterday but we got there to find out the class was cancelled. They have another one starting on Tuesday but it's from 4 - 5 and as soon as it starts getting dark there is a 95% chance Spike is going to crash for a couple of hours. If he goes to that one chances are he will be overtired and that won't work well on any end of the spectrum. Anyway we signed up for the Saturday class in about 6 weeks but I don't want to wait that long and there is no guarantee that there will be other dogs signed up and that is a good part of why we want him to go - to be around other dogs. Anyway, the only other place that may have classes is Petsmart - I'll have to call. I live on Cape Cod - there is not alot here although traveling (in the morning) for 45mins - an hour is something that I would consider doing. Any suggestions on what other businesses might be running a puppy kindergarten? Do you think it would matter if I took him to class overtired or is he even overtired or just conditioned? I've tried having him nap throughout the day but he still seems to connect the darkness outside with sleepytime. Thoughts?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I would not worry about your dog being tired just because its dark.

First, he will be in a new environment with other dogs and that is likely to stimulate him.
    Second, Your mental awareness is far more important. Spike is not going to be trained in class, you are. These classes are to teach the trainer, not to teach the dog. You sill be shown, and then spend the week at home doing. When you come back the next week, you will be able to assess yourr progress against the others.

PS: Don't blame Spike if the two of you don't do so well that next week. It will be your fault, not his.
    PPS: Written to adjust your expectations if they are not realistic. I have no idea how realistic your expectations are. Someone close to me was shocked after the first week of puupy class. She thought they were going to train the dog for her, and couldn'tbelieve that they were actually training her to train the dog.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ask your local pet store for places, or ask Stephanie!

BAILEY 10/1/10

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    I would not worry about your dog being tired just because its dark.

First, he will be in a new environment with other dogs and that is likely to stimulate him.
    Second, Your mental awareness is far more important. Spike is not going to be trained in class, you are. These classes are to teach the trainer, not to teach the dog. You sill be shown, and then spend the week at home doing. When you come back the next week, you will be able to assess yourr progress against the others.

PS: Don't blame Spike if the two of you don't do so well that next week. It will be your fault, not his.
    PPS: Written to adjust your expectations if they are not realistic. I have no idea how realistic your expectations are. Someone close to me was shocked after the first week of puupy class. She thought they were going to train the dog for her, and couldn'tbelieve that they were actually training her to train the dog.
    Thanks - maybe we'll try - my biggest concern is that he would be more disruptive than curious

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Go to the class. Time to start teaching him that schedules get adjusted. It'll be great for him and you.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

lisa is offline Senior Member

I would go to the class...he will adjust to a different schedule and you will both have a blast. Puppy kindergarten is so much fun

lab fan is offline Senior Member

Definitely go to the class, don't worry about Spike being tired. We went to Lucy's first class this morning, she is usually super energetic in the mornings so I took her for a little walk before we left (which meant her running and playing in the snow). She actually lay down half way through the class, wanted to catch a few zzz's!!! No problem since I paid attention to the lesson and learned what to work on during the week. She did get a second wind, and really enjoyed the class. It completely wore her out, and she has slept for 3 hours since coming home. Any class is better than no class!!

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I asked my vet and they gave me a place to take Layla. That might be a resource for finding a good puppy kindergarten.

I agree with a lot of the others who have already posted. If your dog needs socialization then no matter how tired your dog is, they will be hyped at the class.

I signed him up for the class - it starts a week from Tuesday. I'm going to bring him when I go pick up the son from school so he can maybe catch a few winks. There are 2 other puppies in the class so we'll see how it goes

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

Don't be concerned if he sleeps for aaages after the class...Zack was always fine in his class, but would be SO exhausted he'd fall asleep on the way home!