Violently aggressive (as much as a puppy can be)

Thread: Violently aggressive (as much as a puppy can be)

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultViolently aggressive (as much as a puppy can be)

ok you're stuck with dumb questions - I signed Spike up for kindergarten and found out when we got there it was cancelled. since I have an additional 4 weeks to wait I have more issues that you guys are just going to have to suffer through . I like sitting on the floor with Spike. He seems happy, chewing on something or we'll play a little catch - a really good time. This could last a substantial amount of time, very calm, nice. It keeps him from looking around the house for something to do that he's not supposed to and gives me a little break too. Then he will turn on me, biting, lunging, aiming for my face. I end up pushing him repetitively to just keep him away from me so I can get up (yes I know that doesn't help but if I don't he'll have blood drawn like he did today ) I can yell anything from his name (yeah I know - not supposed to do that) No, No bite, bad, anything but he's like possessed and doesn't even hear the words. I'm going to have to carry the squirt bottle around with me but I want it to stop and I don't know what to do. I'd rather not give up our floor time if I can help it...thanks

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Hmm, Bailey did that for a while and as soon as she did that I would get up and sit on the couch and ignore her, once she calmed down I would play with her again. It has really worked, she learned if she did that play time was over. I just sent you an email!

BAILEY 10/1/10

We had such a hard time with Bristol doing stuff like that. He honestly did seem like a possessed devil disguised in a cute fluffy package. I don't really have a solution for it. It was something we just had to grow out of (as it certainly took a LONG time to solve this for us). We would do like Bailey's Mom and walk away and ignore it. Just sitting on the couch wouldn't work for us because he would jump all over us, but we would walk into other rooms, close the door so he couldn't follow, in and out of rooms, doors opening and closing (to sort of show that we were going on with our business without him). Honestly the door thing worked the best because without seeing us it gave him a moment to forget his motive. Sorry I'm not really any help. Just wanted to tell you that we had the same problems, so you're no alone for what it's worth

The many faces of Bristol.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dedfish is offline Junior Member

He's getting over active. Your pushing him away is probably being seen as play and fun. My suggestion is when he gets in this frame of mind you immediately stop play and give him a break. I usually crate my 10week old when he starts acting this way and give him a 20 min time out letting him settle down. Also consider raising yourself up a bit. I was sitting cross legged and playing with Bogart but I found that when he could easily jump up and be at face level with me it was exciting him more. As he is getting bigger I am now playing with him from a kneeling position.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Gracie behaved this way for a long time. The only thing that worked for me, was to put her in the bathroom for a few min. We didn't crate train Gracie...big mistake. Without scolding him,(you never want him to associate his crate with a punishment) try putting Spike in his crate as soon as he starts to get in this mood...give him a few min and then go open the door. Hopefully this will work for you, it is the only thing that worked with Gracie. Good luck.

Spike...be a good boy for mommy
    Last edited by lisa; 01-08-2011 at 05:50 PM.

brody is offline Senior Member

Not aggressive - not violent - just a puppy learning boundaries ... some start early (5 weeks) - some late (umm 18 months) but it's a testing phase - a "fit" of sorts if you will

I try to anticipate and divert before they even start but if I miss it I simply remove myself from the nutsie
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not sit on the floor. It gives him easy access to your face. What he is doing is play with you as he would play with other puppies. It is neither violent nor aggressive - it is normal puppy behavior.

He probably needs more active exercise (fetch is good) to tire him out. If he is getting plenty of exercise and still does this you should (as you have been told) turn away, ignore and if that is not effective, silently place him in his crate for some quiet time.

And - if you know someone with a well behaved adult dog (with full immunizations) arrange some play dates. It really helps to have an older dog teach a puppy how to properly use their mouth.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks - I know it's puppy behavior but I put it in human talk I tried getting up and sitting on the chair and not looking at him. The first time he went and took a nap, the second he left the room. I can get used to this

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike's Mom View Post
    Thanks - I know it's puppy behavior but I put it in human talk I tried getting up and sitting on the chair and not looking at him. The first time he went and took a nap, the second he left the room. I can get used to this
    GREAT!!!!! Keep doing that and he will start to get it

BAILEY 10/1/10

Gladhappy is offline Junior Member

Hi Buddy did that for awhile and still some times has a fit runs and jumps up on us . I put him in his cage or out side when this starts. Buddy does not want to go in his cage now and thinks its a punishment. But it keeps him out of trouble. I am 60 years old and and he leaves burises all over me if I don.t cage him. He has an electric fence which has prove to be a godsent. I know this is what puppy's do and try to cope. Your pup will get claimer as he gets older. Buddy is now 6 months old and still needs a nap every day. If he does't get it he will have a fit. About 1 hr of throwing a ball and he will lay down for an hour with me.