HELP - old dog freaking out from new puppy

Thread: HELP - old dog freaking out from new puppy

Lionshambles is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP - old dog freaking out from new puppy

Hello - I hope you can give some advice on this issue.

Wife and I have a 7 1/2 year old yellow boy, Murphy. Recently we decided to get another dog to give him a little buddy to play with and because we wanted another dog in our lives.

Murphy has always been excited to greet other dogs and play with them, but has never had prolonged exposure with them (after the playtime is over).

We brought Murphy to the breeder to meet Lulu a couple of weeks ago - he was more interested in the yard smells. We brought Lulu home yesterday evening (we brought Murphy with us so he could know we were bringing another dog in the car).

In the house, Murphy would not stop getting away from the puppy. The puppy is acting like a playful puppy, but Murphy is pretty freaked out about this whole situation. His hair is raised (he has never bitten anything), he growls, and keeps running away. The puppy constantly chases him, and his frustration with it builds. Do I keep them together like this in the hope that they get used to each other and puppy stops the chasing, or do I keep them separated and let them get used to each other slowly? Do I let it go on until they work it out among themselves?

I have baby gates blocking off part of the house, and now I am using them to separte the dogs. We have a crate for the puppy, we don't feed her in his bowl or at the same time, we make sure she does not bother him when he eats, and we heap a lot of praise on him and tell him how much we love him and spend alone time with him so he does not get jealous, but I am afraid he is acting quite jealous.

Last night the wife started crying over Murphy and how we are hurting his feelings. I feel bad too.

I do not know if this is a temporary issue or something where Murphy will never get along with Lulu - he was here first and is the king of the castle, and I understand all that, but I really felt he would like a little buddy to play with and pal around with. He doesn't get as much exercise as he should from his overworked parents.

Are we freaking out over nothing, and this is a natural thing, or is there something to worry about here?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide all the details.

I appreciate any help you can provide - puppy woke up, time to go out.

Mike
    Last edited by Lionshambles; 01-08-2011 at 08:52 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

aww poor you ... and I am going through this for the first time ever in many years of fostering .. I have an adult dog (19 months old) who is TERRIFIED and HORROIFIED by the foster puppy. I am trying to keep his stress low and not teach him to growl at any dog so we are respecting his fear and (mostly) keeping them apart.
    We have a baby gate set up blocking the back of the house from the front one dog on each side... puppy is lucky as she gets to come to work with me so she gets lots of attention all day from everybody so I don't feel badly about her having to entertain herself in the evenings a little more.
    Our 2 have been together three weeks today and can now be in the yard together, go for leashed walks together (when there are 2 walkers) and can be together for short periods of time when the puppy has something else to think about or is tired ... if she runs into Sammo's face he still gets upset ...
    If we were adopting the puppy would take exactly the same gradual path to introduction that I am (Sam is by nature a worrier and a little stressed out)
    I suspect as the puppy gets older Murphy will start to think of the puppy as a play mate not a terrorist!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

lab fan is offline Senior Member

I would give it more time, I bet Murphy will get used to having a new friend in the house and will grow to love her soon.

We also have a 7 year old yellow lab Tilly, and brought home a black lab puppy, Lucy, 3 weeks ago. They are getting along well for the most part, but Lucy will not leave Tilly alone - constantly jumping on her, and biting her (playfully). Tilly has been really patient, and we are being careful to give her special time alone with us, like going on her usual hour long walk with her dog friends (not the puppy!) every morning. We always try to let Tilly in the door first, and give her treats before the puppy. Tilly doesn't seem out of sorts, and often is the one initiating the play. We start puppy kindergarten tomorrow and I hope socializing with other dogs will help Lucy learn some manners!
    Good luck, I am sure after a couple of days Murphy will be more comfortable the new member of your family.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

I would give it time...I'm sure before you know it, they will be best buds. How long have you had the puppy?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

I was having the same issue but with a cat. It has gotten better since I posted on here about it (like everything...wierd ). Since Murphy is so much bigger I would keep them separated BUT I would - this doesn't sound right lol- offer him the puppy. You should both probably be present for this since Murphy is a big guy. Hold the puppy so he can't wiggle excessively and let Murphy sniff the parts that dogs sniff and anything else he may want to sniff - holding puppy's mouth closed if he sniffs his nose. Once the puppy gets bigger and calms down a bit they will get along better (in my case bigger than the cat ). Murphy might not realize that the puppy is actually a dog. I stressed over the dog and cat and now they pretty much ignore each other and I caught them 1/2 foot away from each other, he was sitting and barking, she was laying down on a chair and hissing

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Lionshambles is offline Junior Member

thanks for your advice and encouragement. I guess we know now that this is a process. I talked with the breeder this morning and she said the same thing, that Murphy may not even realize that Lulu is a dog. Murphy just doesn't like the pup running and jumping at his face. Once they settle that I think things will improve.

Thanks again.