Smart Labs and other stuff....

Thread: Smart Labs and other stuff....

Chocolady80 is offline Junior Member

DefaultSmart Labs and other stuff....

Sometimes I feel like my lab is extra smart......

-she can be very stubborn sometimes....I can be calling her name..and she KNOWS her name....and she will just keep going the other way sometimes...Sometimes I can bribe her and sometimes I can't......

-I think it maybe too late to try to train her more....

* I can get her to sit but...only if her ball is in my hands

* She will stay...sometimes...only if the ball is in my hand ...but I can only walk backwards like 6 or 7 steps before she decides that I'm going to far away from her.....

* She has never been good with me on a leash...she pulls me down the street..and someone told me to buy a choke chain..for when she pulls me that it will put pressure on her but I didn't like that... What is the appropriate way to teach my dog to heel...and is it too late?

* She knows what the word: Ball means......and is...

*When I have the ball in my hand..I have her full undivided attention..but if it was anyone else...she doesn't respond unless I'm there....

- I was also wondering....my dog is 4 years old now and I see white hair....is this normal?
    ]You can't keep a good dog down...Bow WOow Woow Wow!!!

Name: Lady/ Ladybug
    Birthdate: Jan 1, 2007
    Environment: Outside (Large Pen)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

some dogs get grey hairs much ealier than 4 (I saw some on my pup before he was 2). so very normal.

it sounds like you two need to do training. It is NOT too late to train your dog, it is never too late. Training is a long process and you get in return what you put in.

How much time did you spend training her? They only know what we teach them, so if she is acting as though all commands are "negotiable" it means you have allowed them to be negotiable. So you have to put in the time to training her (first starting in a quiet environment and rewarding greatly, slowly uping distractions and training in various environments).

Personally - I recommend taking an obedience class with her, and applying NILF with her (which may be abit harder - I have never met someone who did this with an outside dog but I am positive it could be done). This means commands are not negotiable, she must obey (and no, this isn't about hitting her or yelling if she does not, just setting her up for success). You can even use a training collar (i.e. martingale, maybe even prong but do work with a trainer first to show you how to use it) and correct hte dog if she does not obey.

It requires abit more work to build a bond with an outside dog as you spend alot less time with them (unless you are working yoru land/property with the dog daily of course, in which case one spends more time with their dog!) They often learn to be completely independent as they spend alot of time on their own. Not saying it is impossible, but it requires alot of work.
    Last edited by Tanya; 01-07-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Chocolady80 is offline Junior Member

....I'm sorry but I just lost lady....I don't think I'll be getting another dog for a long time until...I learn what is proper because I feel like I just caused a lot of pain....to me and my family....She was crossing the road...and car came flying down the street and she was hit and tore the whole front off of this man's car....I can't believe it...I've worked with her continuously.....I have to feed her EVERY day.....so I normally let her out while changing her bedding and ...just forget it... I'm sorry.... Thank you...
    ]You can't keep a good dog down...Bow WOow Woow Wow!!!

Name: Lady/ Ladybug
    Birthdate: Jan 1, 2007
    Environment: Outside (Large Pen)