Correct me if I'm wrong but...

Thread: Correct me if I'm wrong but...

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultCorrect me if I'm wrong but...

They say we shouldn't put the dog into his crate when he potties in the house because then he associates the crate with a punishment. But we should put him outside. Won't he start associating being put outside as a punishment? I'm asking because Spike just went in the house - and I'm noticing this more - I'll put him outside - he will walk out on his own, after I tell him potty outside - and he seems to look like he feels he is getting punished. He sits there and just looks at me all droopy like. How can they distinguish?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If he starts to potty inside, go out together and encourage him to potty outside, and praise the living daylights of him. Putting him outside by himself won't work.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's really all about how you are communicating to him. Bringing him outside when you catch him in the act can't have any negativity or upset being communicated to him by you either verbally or visually. It's not about punishing him - it is about teaching him. And just sending him out is not going to cut it. Pick him up, bring him out to where you have had him pee before and use a phrase (go potty or similar) if he does then go potty outdoors PRAISE and TREAT like crazy. No anger, no complaints.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    It's really all about how you are communicating to him. Bringing him outside when you catch him in the act can't have any negativity or upset being communicated to him by you either verbally or visually. It's not about punishing him - it is about teaching him. And just sending him out is not going to cut it. Pick him up, bring him out to where you have had him pee before and use a phrase (go potty or similar) if he does then go potty outdoors PRAISE and TREAT like crazy. No anger, no complaints.
    ^^^
    That's it in a nutshell...I think my neighbors thought I was loosing my mind, when Lola and Gracie would go potty outside, I would clap and do the *pee pee dance*...they thought it was great

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

You have to go with him until he is pottied trained, IMO. You sending him outside alone is sending him away from you and in his eyes would be punishment. And yes, praise praise praise when they do right, he will learn so much faster.

Amanda

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

I can't wait until spring when I get to hear all the neighbors tell me how they loved the PJ potty dance in the snow... I'm sure they are getting great laughs from me.

I'm not big on the treats when potty training (it's just me, nothing against anyone who does it) so it a TON of praise.

bett is offline Senior Member

take him out on a leash and give him a command (get busy, go potty-whatever you like) and walk him around letting him sniff. when he finally eliminates praise him and/or treat him. he will get the picture.
    when dogs go outside on their own, before they are potty trained, they end up investigating and dont really know why they are out there.