How do you play with a submissive dog?

Thread: How do you play with a submissive dog?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do you play with a submissive dog?

When play gets the slightest bit rough Spike will be flat on his back. Kind of frustrating when I want to play rough He'll fetch the ball a couple of times and play a little but as soon as I try to get his toy from him (mind you he won't give the toy up) he'll flip over. This is a pretty constant action on his part. If I start playing alittle rough outside with him in the hopes that he'll run a bit his butt will go in the air in play stance then as soon as I take a step toward him I get belly. Is this normal?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Simple answer is not to rough house. For the fetching issue, giving him another cue (sit, eg) sometimes helps to get the ball/toy back as well as keeping him upright. Alternately, throwing a 2nd toy might get him to drop the first, and you can then alternate.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You are not training him using a dominance theory model are you? Using any sort of alpha roll or correction on a dog like this is not going to produce a good result for you.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You are not training him using a dominance theory model are you? Using any sort of alpha roll or correction on a dog like this is not going to produce a good result for you.
    I don't know what that is lol - He has always been that way it's just now he seems stocky enough in my eyes to play chase or something alittle rougher. Even if he initiates some kind of play he'll flip over when I join in

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ofcourse you don't know what that is! Your just a regular mom trying to raise your puppy...none of this fancy dominance bs!!!!

BAILEY 10/1/10

lisa is offline Senior Member

Lola rolls over all the time when she is playing with Gracie. I never played rough with my dogs...Gracie needed no extra encouragement to act crazy, she was a handful as a pup

One piece of advice, my daughter and her bf play rough with their dog, it was cute when she weighed 15 lbs, now she is 60 lbs and she runs and jumps on you full force...playing of course. A good game of fetch should tire him out. Use 2 toys or balls if he won't give one up. We always have to do this with Gracie...she never will give up her ball.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey's Mom View Post
    Ofcourse you don't know what that is! Your just a regular mom trying to raise your puppy...none of this fancy dominance bs!!!!
    Um - any regular mom who watches Cesar Milan or sees stuff on the internet might try the "alpha roll" - it's a very frequently adopted method amongst novices who are looking for dog training info.

Anyway - to the OP - you have a very sensitive dog. Not all dogs understand rough play (just like not all kids like to play that way). Adopt a play style he seems to enjoy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.