Set nap times?

Thread: Set nap times?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSet nap times?

Spike rarely naps on his own, it's like he is going to miss something. I made the mistake of taking him out of his crate early morning for a pottying and then back in for more sleep - I swear it makes him nuts for the day, excessive in the house pottying, unfocused, a terror. We had a delivery today and I put him in his crate and he snuggled in the back and went to sleep. I probably should have left him in there but I went and opened the door He gets overtired and starts biting and gets unfocused like almost a frenzy. We're working on that but I was wondering if anyone does set nap times and if you put your puppy in his crate and shut the door how long is it for? Is there even a suggested nap time amount - like should they have 3 - 1 hour naps a day?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's always best to have a schedule for your puppy. Up in the morning, feed, exercise/play then nap. Repeat at lunch. Repeat at dinner. How much sleep a puppy requires really varies by dog and their age too - but most of them will sleep at least half the day.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Bailey has hour n half out, hour in crate repeated whole day. She has gotten use to schedule she doesn't cry at all in crate she sleeps or just plays with toys

BAILEY 10/1/10

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Wow. I think I best start putting him in his crate to sleep a little more often. Last night he was just a sleepy mess lol

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

puppymakes4 is offline Member

As for Scout, we've never had a problem with sleeping or napping. We call her a lazy puppy She naps all the time on her own. We know Scout is tired when her bottom eyelids start to droop and she wanders in circles, looking for a place to lie down (and fighting off the sleep, just like a kid). Most of the time, we've found it's best to keep Scout on her schedule, even on the weekends. If we take her off the schedule on the weekends, it makes Mondays a mess and she'll be a terror. So, we keep the same schedule on Saturday and Sunday as we do the rest of the week: Wake up at 6:15, in the crate by 7:30 am, lunch break around 12 noon, and we're home around 4:45. She's out and about from 4:45 until bed, around 10 pm.
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

JandRBurns is offline Member

Roscoe sleeps about as much as Bailey (above): half hour to an hour of activity and then an hour or so of napping. He's almost six months old and sleeps from about 9 pm to 6:30 am every night. He pees or poops and has breakfast at 6:30, and then we play in the kitchen until about 7:30 and then he naps until 10:30 or so. Then we go for a walk, after which he naps until noon. Then lunch and he naps again until about 3:30 or so. Then another walk and then he naps again. Then dinner at 6 pm and then he naps again for an hour so. What life: five naps every day, including two before lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by JandRBurns View Post
    Roscoe sleeps about as much as Bailey (above): half hour to an hour of activity and then an hour or so of napping. He's almost six months old and sleeps from about 9 pm to 6:30 am every night. He pees or poops and has breakfast at 6:30, and then we play in the kitchen until about 7:30 and then he naps until 10:30 or so. Then we go for a walk, after which he naps until noon. Then lunch and he naps again until about 3:30 or so. Then another walk and then he naps again. Then dinner at 6 pm and then he naps again for an hour so. What life: five naps every day, including two before lunch!
    Wow that's alot of napping! I was wondering if a long nap was ok - I think he's better when i crate him for 2 or 3 hours as opposed to just one. I see your in Falmouth - I'm in Eastham How old is Roscoe? And if he is almost 4 months old did you get him from Handy Hill?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Hi. We got Roscoe from a breeder in Burlington, Mass., but had some e-mails with the folks at Handy Hill. We spent a few weeks last fall talking with and visiting breeders and settled on the Burlington folks because we liked their dogs when we met Roscoe's mom and dad and (at least) one of his grandparents. He was nine weeks old when we brought him home. He'll be six months next week. And, yes, he naps a lot. But when he's awake, he's rarin' to go. We're going on a walk with him tomorrow in the Beebe Woods here in Falmouth with a lot of other dogs. It'll be his first planned walk with big and older dogs. We'll see how it goes. If you get to Falmouth, let us know and we'll take the dogs out on the Shining Sea Bikeway

By the way, I wanted to ask you: Are coyotes prevalent out your way?

Quote Originally Posted by JandRBurns View Post
    By the way, I wanted to ask you: Are coyotes prevalent out your way?
    We have them but we also have idiots who shoot them I see them around the neighborhood now and then and cats go missing but pretty much they keep to themselves (knock on wood). A few years back we were outside with the dog (a pug at that time) and one went walking up the street. He, usually one to run up to other dogs, froze. Scary...

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller