Peeing on Dog Bed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peeing on Dog Bed

puppymakes4 is offline Member

DefaultPeeing on Dog Bed

Hi all,

I've been using this forum as a resource for my 4 month old puppy, Scout, for some time, and would appreciate some advice on Scout's newest behavior.

My husband and I waited until Scout was sufficiently housetrained before buying her a dog bed. This was because when we first got Scout she peed on the dog bed she had fairly regularly, and we eventually threw it out, thinking that Scout was not housetrained (which she wasn't) and couldn't help it. So, now that she's trained, we bought her a dog bed again for her to enjoy, since we don't allow her onto the furniture and she desperately wants to get on the couch.

Day one: Scout pees on the dog bed. This event occurred directly after giving Scout a bath, and she got a little freaked out and went and peed on the bed directly after leaving the bathroom.

Next, Scout spent New Years with a friend who also has a lab, and peed on the other dog's bed twice.

Finally, the day after we brought her home from the friend's house, she peed on her dog bed again.

Let me clarify a few things: This is not a huge amount of pee. It's a tiny little dribble, and then we yell, "Stop!" and she immediately does so. She has no symptoms of a UTI, and I really don't think that's what's going on. These are the ONLY time she has had an accident in over a month since being housetrained.

What I'm wondering is if Scout is marking the dog beds. I don't pretend to understand why she would need to mark her dog bed, but hey... What I'm curious about is if anyone has a suggestion for stopping it from happening. I don't want to take Scout's bed away from her since she genuinly seems to enjoy sleeping on it, but I don't want her to pee on it either.

EDIT: I should also add that during this time Scout has had absolutely no other accidents of any kind. Just darn dog beds...She is crated at night, so she doesn't sleep with us.
    Last edited by puppymakes4; 01-05-2011 at 01:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

That seems like the only logical explanation...question, in her crate at night do you have anything soft in there? Our breeder told us not to put soft thigns in her crate at night or she will pee on them because the dog knows the soft will absorb the pee? But I don't think thats the problem here though especially if it is only a little pee. Maybe she just isn't use to it yet? Is it when she first gets on it? Maybe practice having her get on and off the bed with treats. Get her on the bed and have her lay down and treat right away with praise. The more she learns that as soon as she is laying down on bed with no pee she is rewarded?

BAILEY 10/1/10

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Wash the dog bed and give it a good spraying with Natures miracle and let it dry thoroughly. If it's small enough put it in his crate at night - if it's not small enough go out and buy something that will fit in his crate, not necessarily fill the whole thing but will take a substantial amount of room. If he pees on it leave it in there for a couple of days and then wash it (same thing as above) and put it in again. Spike did this and that was the only thing that we could do for him to not pee on it. The whole you don't pee where you sleep thing Good Luck!

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmm. That's interesting about the soft thing. We have a blanket in Scout's crate that she's had since she came home from the breeder. She know it's hers, along with her special toy from the breeder. The thing is, Scout really seems to love the dog bed. She sleeps on it, brings her toys onto it, and plays on it (or did, I took it away until I can figure this thing out!).

I mean, look at her:

Lol. Is that a content dog or what? She certainly acts like she understand the purpose of the bed...but then...pee!

Spike's Mom: That's an interesting suggestion. Maybe we should try that...
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oops i called Scout a he - Sorry!

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

oh she is adorable!!!!

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ok first off, Scout and Spike are gorgeous!!! Wow has spike grown! Also, Spikes mom how long has spike had a blanket in his crate for? does he ever chew on it? When we picked up Bailey Stefanie said not to put a blanket in for awhile because the dog would pee in it since it's soft and the dog knows it will absorb...i've been wanting to put a blanket in for a while now but chris says bailey isn't ready for one yet? How many times did spike pee on this blanket before he stopped?

BAILEY 10/1/10

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Scouts a she and she pees in the bed. Probably an out of line question, but....

Has Scout been spayed? Does she pee in her sleep or is it an awake conscious act. i.e. I am asking about incontenance. If she has been spayed, and is peeing in her sleep, talk to your vet about DES. If the answers are no, I have no ideas.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Spike's Mom: No biggie on the gender thing It happens all the time.

Bailey's Mom: We have had a blanket in Scout's crate since day 1 of bringing her home, and she has never had an accident on her blanket other than when we were at work and couldn't get home in time to let her out.

Maloneandme: Thank you! We think she's beautiful, too.

HersheyK's Dad: Nope, Scout has not been spayed yet. This is definitely a deliberate act from my interpretation. It is always when she is awake, and it is never a very large amount, always very small (but then again, we are interrupting her to stop the action).

Putting the bed in her crate is an interesting idea that we might try tonight. I wonder if it might reinforce the idea that the bed is for resting and not indoor plumbing.
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did you housetrain her using puppy pads?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast