MY dog is out of control :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY dog is out of control :(

CocoLoco is offline Junior Member

ExclamationMY dog is out of control :(

Hey Everyone,

So long story short I bought my chocolate lab a year ago when he was 10 weeks old. He was very easy to train in the begining but now I feel like things are falling apart. He is the most affectionate dog ever but I feel as if I dont spend enough time with him due to my work schedule.

Now I am facing a few issues, EVERYTIME he see's me or anyone else that comes to my home he jumps like a kangaroo and it is starting to get very frusterating, He is so big now that he is starting to knock people over when he jumps up on them....How do I get him to stop this habbit?

Also he chews everything!! I buy him all kinds of toys and bones but he chews right through his toys until there are a million pieces lying around the house. He has chewed my kitchen chairs, my blinds, my door and numerous other things.....I am starting to feel like a bad pet owner!!! HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Your dog is a year old!!! He needs exercise. Every day. You need to find a way to schedule in some fetching, or running of some kind. Mental stimulation will help also, such as hiding treats for him to find in the house. But physical exercise is going to do wonders for you and you need to make the time.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

swanny320 is offline Member

labs chew on everything naturally. They are designed to use their jaws so the fact he chews on stuff isn't such a big deal. Just redirect him and be proactive and keep everything off the floor and away from him. Don't leave him alone at all! Also, take his toys away when he starts to destroy them. He could ingest pieces and end up with a blockage and need surgery. As for the jumping, just redirect him and teach him. When he jumps, push him down and say in a harsh voice "no jump". Eventually he will learn. Another good idea is to not let him have free reign when he first meets people. He is a baby and is excited to meet people so maybe put him on a leash so you can control him during that time. With age he will settle down some as you socialize him more

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Lab are pups for a very long time. He needs LOTS of exercise. Good luck.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Is he crate trained ?

The damage may continue for at least another year if you are lucky !

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

He needs to be in a crate when you aren't home, for his own safety. How much exercise is he getting? Have you been to an obedience class with him? That will help you both.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Tanya is offline Senior Member

1 - crate when you cannot supervise
    2 - EXERCISE, labs need ALOT of exercise especially at the year old mark. includes both walks (controlled exercise) and offleash running like dog park, offleash walks if he is ok with those, fetch, play dates, etc). like, an hour or more a day (broken in a few sessions a day).
    3 - training! have you taken classes with him? what have you tried to have him STOP jumping on you? what type of training have you done with the pup? Labs are great and smart dogs but do need plenty of training to become "good family pets".

Labs ARE great dogs but they don't get there on their own. They need training (not just one round of obedience classes but lots of training over the first few years) and exercise to become that great family dog. Some are more of a challenge than others though, and will need even more training and exercise than others!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

CocoLoco is offline Junior Member

Wow! I really appreciate all the advice!! Thank you everyone!!
    I have thought about putting him in classes and the though is still on my mind........I am currently crate training him but I think part of the reason he misbehaves is because I sometimes work long hours so he gets bored.....I have been told many times that labs are like puppies until about 2 - 2 1/2 years.......

Truth is though, even if he does destory my house and jump on all my friends and me, I still love him and wouldn't change a thing about him
    -Melody

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    1 - crate when you cannot supervise
    2 - EXERCISE, labs need ALOT of exercise especially at the year old mark. includes both walks (controlled exercise) and offleash running like dog park, offleash walks if he is ok with those, fetch, play dates, etc). like, an hour or more a day (broken in a few sessions a day).
    3 - training! have you taken classes with him? what have you tried to have him STOP jumping on you? what type of training have you done with the pup? Labs are great and smart dogs but do need plenty of training to become "good family pets".

Labs ARE great dogs but they don't get there on their own. They need training (not just one round of obedience classes but lots of training over the first few years) and exercise to become that great family dog. Some are more of a challenge than others though, and will need even more training and exercise than others!
    ^ that...and also what everyone else said.
    Zoe was a nut pup, highly socially driven. Jumping on everyone. Our behaviorist told me
    Zoe has 2 options "To sit, or to sit" I take it your pup knows the command? Train...every.single.day; several.times.a.day. Make it fun. Teach him that sitting is more fun than jumping. If he sits, he gets a high value treat. Jump....nada.

Redirect inappropriate chewing. You must be there to catch it...do an "ah ah" and give him an appropriate chew. Many people use nylabones here. Zoe didn't do nylabones, so she got those very thin rawhides. Some people frown upon them, but Zoe did great on them.

"still on my mind" about classes...this is a must. You will invest $, but you will get rewards from your investment. Zoe went through 8 six week sessions of puppy kindergarten, obedience, remedial. It was not cheap, but very worth every penny.

Truth is though, even if he does destory my house and jump on all my friends and me, I still love him and wouldn't change a thing about him
    but it doesn't have to be that way. Train for what you want your dog to be. Overlooking manners in a dog is a human fault, IMO.

good luck, and I hope you find your replies helpful.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

brody is offline Senior Member

so so with everybody

Tire him out physically and mentally and teach him the skills he needs to function as a member of the family
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast