Need help with leash training

Thread: Need help with leash training

cajun816 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed help with leash training

A little history first. Yesterday we rescued a black lab that's been running around town since day after Christmas. He is 8 months to a year old, very well mannered, and loves our kids. Problem is when you put a leash on him he freezes and will not budge. Friend of ours said he may have been tied up and beat so he associates the leash with being beat. If this is true how would we break him of this? I know it will take time to break the habit, so far we just put the leash on him then pet him and play with him and encourage him to walk around and play. thanks for any ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

Have you tried tempting him to move forward with treats? Maybe then he'd associate the leash with something good. My 10 month old, Duke, will do anything for treats. I've used cheerios or his kibble and both work for him. I also use a hot dog (cut up into small pieces) but this is for special training since it's his all time favorite.

brody is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't fuss with him
    I'd go right back to square one with him (he may very well just have never had a leash on him before)

let him drag a leash ... or freeze with a leash in place ... his choice for 5 minutes ..once he's moving around normally (or close) pick up the end of the leash and follow him around ... build up the length of time he is dragging the leash (supervised of course) to about 20 minutes .. then start asking him to work with you with the leash on

My dogs learn where to walk on leash without a leash holding them in place - I do hours and hours of shadow handling (having the dog move with me - changing direction and speed and in my case side) so if this fellow was in my house we'd be learning how to walk with a person seperately to learning how to walk with a leash
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

let him drag the leash to get used to it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

cajun816 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. We left the leash on him most of the day. lots of encouragement and the kids wanting to play seems to be working. He still freezes up some times but can now be coaxed on and will continue to walk around. Lots of patience and hopefully he'll be fine. No one has claimed ownership yet. Probably a drop off from somewhere else.