Did Cat come first?

Thread: Did Cat come first?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDid Cat come first?

We have a 7 year old cat. Since she was 4 weeks old up until a year ago she was the sister to a pug. She's having a bit of a problem adjusting to a puppy who won't leave her alone. Yesterday I saw blood droplets where their last fiasco was so I have to take her in for a nail trim. She's not a hugely cuddleable cat although she and the pug shared many a sunbeam. If you had a cat who came first so to speak how long did it take them to be ok with the puppy? I think she'll be ok if he wasn't harassing her and she could work at her own pace but I don't know that for sure...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

I had 2 cats before Gracie and Lola. Misty, was my 19 year old, she just passed away in November and Lil one, I raised from the day she was born...mom abandoned her. Lola is better with them, she doesn't chase them, so they don't run. Gracie still chases them and its been 2 years....my cat isn't afraid of them, just annoyed by them. She usually just goes in a room out of sight. Good luck, hopefully it won't take too long.

puppymakes4 is offline Member

We got our cat, Zoey, four years ago. Scout, our 4 month old puppy, has been dying to be friends with her, but Zoey has always been shy and preferred a "one-child-only" kind of household, with Zoey being the child We had somewhat of a breakthrough a few days ago, when Zoey finally bopped Scout on the nose. Scout is now keeping more of a distance from Zoey, though we have the occasional "Yay let's play!" chase that we have to break up. Zoey is now comfortable walking around Scout without being soo on guard, so we have high hopes that one day, maybe once Scout is out of puppyhood, she and Zoey can be friends.

That said, growing up we had golden retrievers and cats together, and they were best buddies. They will all have to do things at their own pace. We just try to keep Scout from chasing Zoey, and help her to understand how to properly interact with Zoey for the best results.
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Maybe it's the age. Spike has been getting bopped for weeks now, even to the point of bleeding but only this morning he left after being hissed at twice. I'm hoping things will get better from here. I got her nails trimmed yesterday so I have some leeway if I want to let them work it out on their own

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

brody is offline Senior Member

let her smack him if he needs it - I would not let him terrorize the cat though - I spend a LOT of time introducing cats and dogs to each other - once I wasn't able to get a cat convinced dogs were ok .. and twice I've had dogs that I am quite sure would kill a cat given the chance ... 3 major issues out of HUNDREDS of introductions though
    it can take a day it can take longer but if I wasn't seeing a polite puppy after about a week I'd put Behaving with Cat on my to do list
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I think my biggest fear is that she will hurt his eyes - I think I'm still in pug mode and have to remember there's nose in between

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

brody is offline Senior Member

keep her nails short and she the risk of damage is minimal
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller