What would you do?

Thread: What would you do?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat would you do?

I'm just curious what others would do in this situation. We live a couple of blocks from the beach. It's a bay beach so the tide goes way far out and in the "off" season it's a popular dog walking place. We also get alot of (holiday) tourists who think they are out in the country and anything goes. Since the weather has been near 50 for the past couple of days I've been taking Spike to the beach. Both days older, unleashed dogs approached Spike (this is ok if your dog is not aggressive, not by law but by common decency and the winter population drops down so much that it's just kind of an understanding among local dog owners). Today wasn't much of an issue - the dog came when he was called and I could sense by the owners actions that their dog was under control. Yesterday a dog came up to Spike and the owner came up to me and said "I'm so glad he was ok today, sometimes he's not ok with other dogs" HUH? I go into "speechless shock" pretty easily and I just couldn't even comprehend that he said that let alone respond. Then he put the dog on his leash and walked away. Maybe I'm watching "Dog Whisperer" too much but wow. There was another man with a Doberman who was pulling his arms off but he was leashed and the man left pretty quickly - I think he realized that if his dog got loose there would be problems. What would you do if faced with a loose dog, with the owners nearby but not within arms reach and as they get near they throw a comment at you like that? At all times we just stand still, Spike is alittle nervous around bigger dogs and he just sits

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

I'd put myself between Spike and the loose dogs - or not walk him there ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Spike's Mom View Post
    I'm just curious what others would do in this situation. We live a couple of blocks from the beach. It's a bay beach so the tide goes way far out and in the "off" season it's a popular dog walking place. We also get alot of (holiday) tourists who think they are out in the country and anything goes. Since the weather has been near 50 for the past couple of days I've been taking Spike to the beach. Both days older, unleashed dogs approached Spike (this is ok if your dog is not aggressive, not by law but by common decency and the winter population drops down so much that it's just kind of an understanding among local dog owners). Today wasn't much of an issue - the dog came when he was called and I could sense by the owners actions that their dog was under control. Yesterday a dog came up to Spike and the owner came up to me and said "I'm so glad he was ok today, sometimes he's not ok with other dogs" HUH? I go into "speechless shock" pretty easily and I just couldn't even comprehend that he said that let alone respond. Then he put the dog on his leash and walked away. Maybe I'm watching "Dog Whisperer" too much but wow. There was another man with a Doberman who was pulling his arms off but he was leashed and the man left pretty quickly - I think he realized that if his dog got loose there would be problems. What would you do if faced with a loose dog, with the owners nearby but not within arms reach and as they get near they throw a comment at you like that? At all times we just stand still, Spike is alittle nervous around bigger dogs and he just sits
    I'd tell the damned fool he's lucky no one has sued him yet & if he dares let his dog near yours again, you'd happily be the 1st one to do so.

Plan B would be to just not go there. If it's not a safe environment for your dog, it's not worth the risk.

It only takes one irresponsible fool to ruin the fun for everyone else.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    I'd tell the damned fool he's lucky no one has sued him yet & if he dares let his dog near yours again, you'd happily be the 1st one to do so.

Plan B would be to just not go there. If it's not a safe environment for your dog, it's not worth the risk.

It only takes one irresponsible fool to ruin the fun for everyone else.
    ^^^^
    I like this suggestion

We live on the beach and the town beach is just a walk away. I take Lola and Gracie there when no one is there because they like to run free...that said, when there are people around, my dogs are leashed. Thankfully I have never run into a knuckle head like you have. If you are worried spike might get hurt..I wouldn't take him there or go when it is really quiet, which means it will be cold too.

BTW Spike is a real cutie pie, he is getting so big already.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I guess I may just be more tolerant tham many. The guys comment, I would have pursued the meaning of what he said. Was he implying his dog gets seriously agressive, or aggressive play? There is a big difference in how I would react to the answer. If the issue is serious aggression, the dog does not belong off lead anywhere. If it is aggressive play, then the playmates have to be picked carefully. I have seen both at several of our dog parks and we seem to be able to resolve them quickly. Several of the aggressive play dogs, have become very good doggy citizens through the efforts of the owners, other patrons, and the dogs them selves. Sometimes I think we have to remember how the dogs behave in nature, in the pack. Two dogs meeting each other establish their relationship, pecking order. Ofter the aggressive posture is a one time thing. The receiver of the challenge responds with a growl or snap, and it is over. Friends forever. HK is known as one of the quiet friendly dogs at the parks we go to. A new dog shows up and races after her butt for a sniff, or mount. She swings her head around with a growl and snarls, and the other dog backs off immediately. Then they go off to play together.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.