Starting a "Puppy Primer" class

Thread: Starting a "Puppy Primer" class

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultStarting a "Puppy Primer" class

We will be starting a 4 week "puppy primer" class next week. It's supposed to cover nipping, chewing, leash walking, etc - the very basic basics Is there something that I make sure they touch on? He can probably head straight into obedience after this class so I don't want to find out in 2 months that he should have learned something at the beginning. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

it's probably designed for starting a pet puppy on the path to manners etc
    you should enjoy it - and he will too

my 9-10 week old foster puppy walks on a leash, accepts a collar, is largely housetrained (though if you don't notice her heading for the door you'll have a puddle or worse to clean up), crate trained, sits and downs (offers the behaviour it isn't on cue yet) and comes when called . We are working hard on bite inhibition and I expect some major regression soon - so I hope she hits a home of her own before that!! It's been really wonderful having two weeks off to play with her
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

lisa is offline Senior Member

It's probably going to be a basic *manners* class and a great deal of socialization for your pup. I did a puppy kindergarten with Lola and we both had a blast. Have fun and enjoy...let us know how it goes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Arg, this topic has been really frustrating for me. The topic of training and how to train and what to train. The more research I do the more I find that dog training is as opinionated as religion or politics. For me, I just pick and choose what I find of value and try it. I have around 3 training sessions a day that are short and fun. As for what the puppy needs to know before that first class, I simply asked the people at the place I am taking my dog. They told me immunization papers, collar, leash, and yummy treats. There is no training prereqs for the puppy socialization class. Layla(my puppy) and I start the class Jan 6. My goal for Layla is that she gets comfortable with other dogs and acts appropriately with them. Any thing else Layla and I can get from the class will be wonderful bonus material!

FYI:I am a first time dog owner, not an expert. I am simply sharing limited experience I have had so far.

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Eee Goodluck! We start puppy kindergarten on Saturday as well!

BAILEY 10/1/10