Bed time issues/whining in the cage

Thread: Bed time issues/whining in the cage

LoveMyAlex is offline Junior Member

DefaultBed time issues/whining in the cage

We have had Alex for almost 2 weeks now and I love spending every minute with him. He is such a smart little guy, and I love him to death!

His previous owner had him in his cage a lot, so he is used to being in there. The first week that we had the little guy, he just walked in there (with some prompting) and went to sleep. Over the last week, he has started to whine and bark when we put him in there for the night after we are out of his line of sight. We don't blame him, after all it's much more fun to be running around than be to stuck in that cage; however, I'd like for this not to become a nightly ritual, considering the whining and barking periods have become longer. He is up to 10 minutes now. (that might not seem like a lot, but I do not want it to become worse)

• We do not put him into his cage unless we are not home or we are going to bed.

• We take him outside to relieve himself just before he goes in the cage for the night, which is at 10pm (we get up at 5am).

• We don't comfort him once he is in there.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
    ~ Penny

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

not paying any attention to him once he's in there is a HUGE plus ...
    I have crate trained (and re crate trained) many dogs
    if he is fussing more he thinks he is getting something for fussing - even telling him NO or having your other dog go up to him could be reinforcing enough to encourage him to whine for a little

I usually try to take the time to play with the crate a little - I'll pop the dog in and let them right out if they don't fuss - pop them in when I put on a load of laundry then let them out - I want the crate to be a happy place for my dogs so they may get a yummy chew bone only when they are in their crate

That said - our oldest dog (Brody) and youngest dog (Sampson) both are not happy crate dogs - both were seriously overcrated before they came to us - and I didn't know as much about crating with Brody so it took a long time for him to get ok with being crated again and the youngest dog is my hubby's so I'm trying hard not to get too into training him
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Maybe putting a blanket over the crate? I used to do that when Dio was in a crate and it calmed him down a lot. You could try that.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    I want the crate to be a happy place for my dogs so they may get a yummy chew bone only when they are in their crate
    I'll try the treat thing. I am just baffled because he was fine the first week. It is as if he's becoming more comfortable in his surroundings and in turn more vocal.

I do put him in his cage (I am used to calling it cage, not crate) every time he come in from doing business outside (we do this with the older dog as well). This is to prevent them from running into the house like a wild herd.

As I unleash him and say "cage", they both trott into their cages and wait for a treat. I started to keep Alex in there longer (Midknight won't come out until I give him the OK), just to teach him "stay", but I do not lock the cage door.
    ~ Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Dio's mama View Post
    Maybe putting a blanket over the crate? I used to do that when Dio was in a crate and it calmed him down a lot. You could try that.
    I thought about that last night as I was laying in bed listening to him verbalize his unhappiness, but I didn't want to start the process over. I will try that tonight.
    ~ Penny

Boston is offline Senior Member

Stoli did the same thing. Covering with a sheet was a huge help.

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dio's mama View Post
    I do that with spike too - just over the front and only at nighttime. No problems at bedtime. I did it because where he was a puppy he was in a "box" with high walls so I think he is used to staring at a wall