having a hard time bonding with my pup

Thread: having a hard time bonding with my pup

cdavies is offline Member

Unhappyhaving a hard time bonding with my pup

this is really embarrassing, yet i don't think my pup likes me. maybe i am expecting too much from such a little guy. this is my first dog. he prefers to be alone most of the time. he doesn't want to come to me much. in the morning he is very happy and affectionate then from there it declines till the next day. he doesn't like to go out to potty, i have to pick him up. once out he will go. he has done great in his crate, knows how to sit, down. but it just seems like he isn't a happy go lucky fella. i know i must be doing something wrong.
    the breeder picked our dog which i am now wondering if it was a mistake. i will note, he likes playing with my cat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

He might just be shy, If he likes coming to you in the morning and is affectionate then he certainly likes you. How long have you had him? How old he is? He might just need time to re adjust to his new environment, it's a lot to take in! Give it time, in the meanwhile just play with him, and train with treats so he knows good things come from you. He will come around

BAILEY 10/1/10

thx. we have had him for a little over a week. i am hoping that is it. i have puppy dates and kindergarten scheduled in hopes to help bond. i assume he can't go for very long walks as he does appear to really like the outdoors (no surprise of course) again, i have never had a dog and don't know what to expect except that people told me labs are velcro dogs that just adore you. so naturally "i" feel flawed here.
    i guess i assumed i would have a dog that wanted to follow and be with me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey's Mom View Post
    He might just be shy, If he likes coming to you in the morning and is affectionate then he certainly likes you. How long have you had him? How old he is? He might just need time to re adjust to his new environment, it's a lot to take in! Give it time, in the meanwhile just play with him, and train with treats so he knows good things come from you. He will come around
    ^^^This.

Labs ARE velcroe dogs. I couldn't leave mine for 5 seconds unless he was following me around somewhere. Try having him sit with you while you're watching TV/reading a book or any other activity that involves sitting down. I had a 35KG lap dog that used to sit on top of me & sleep on the bed.

brody is offline Senior Member

all puppies are different but I think it's really great you posted ...
    and puppies often play hard sleep hard and don't do much in between - how old is he now? at only a week into this he and you are just getting to know each other ...
    I'd encourage him to hang out a little as he is getting tired ... I have a going concern at the moment - she plays hard, eats hard and sleeps but cuddling is not in her nature yet - we encourage her to just sit with us as she's winding down and she's just started seeking laps when she's feeling tired now she's darling and friendly but I can see totally how it would be worrisome if you expected a pair bond at this point ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

I never thought my Jeb would be a Velcro dog. He was probably 2-ish before he decided I couldn't be let out of his sight. Keep him with you as much as you can. I always made sure I let Jeb be out of his crate when I was home unless I couldn't keep my eye one him. The bonding thing doesn't happen overnight Best of luck with your pup. Labs are great companions.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

thx everyone! your replies meant alot. today was a good day. taking another approach and trying to not expect so much. a few puppy play dates and more patience seems to be working.

brody is offline Senior Member

patience surely is a key
    glad today was better ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Hsweeney1997 is offline Junior Member

Yeah, I agree, I think he is probably just shy, it takes them some time to adjust to their new owners and their new enviroment, my puppy was like that when we first got him but now he's bounding all over the place! Don't worry!

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Glad today was a good day. Keep us posted! )

BAILEY 10/1/10