First Time Dog Owner - Potty in the middle of the night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Dog Owner - Potty in the middle of the night

coco08816 is offline Junior Member

DefaultFirst Time Dog Owner - Potty in the middle of the night

First time dog owner to a 12 week old female chocolate lab. She was a gift from my sister in law who crate and potty trained her when she got her at 9 weeks and lived with her for 3 weeks until I picked her up this past Christmas weekend. Sweet girl, she gets up at least every 2 to 3 hours and I take her out to potty. Can someone tell me when she will start sleeping through the night - I knew I would lose some sleep which is totally ok - I have not slept in my bedroom for the last 3 nights for it's on the 2nd floor so I have her sleep in a crate next to me on the first floor for I think it's too much to keep going up and down. Will these constant waking up eventually end? is there a way to train her to be able to hold it in longer and minimize the constant waking up? I get up at least three time through the night! would appreciate any feedback! thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

What is your feeding schedule like? When is her last meal and when is her last sip of water before you take them away? What time does she go into her crate for bedtime? Bailey has her last sip of water at 8 and her bedtime is 10. She sleeps through the night til either 5 or 6. Today however she did not wake up until 9! Every dog is different. Depending on what time you stop food and water and what time she goes to bed, she should be able to make it atleast 5 hours. ( The vet said take her month of age and add 2 hours thats how long they can hold it during the day...so night should be longer but we still start with day time holding) Especially if you are sure she does not have a lot of pee in her, you might wanna try and wait on one of her cries to teach her to hold it. Goodluck!

BAILEY 10/1/10

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Hi from another first time dog owner. Layla started sleeping through the night regularly at 14 weeks. By through the night I mean from the time we put her in her crate or when she simply goes there on her own. That is around 11pm. I generally wake up at 5am to go to work so Layla gets to do her business around 5:30 on average. My wife, who is a very light sleeper, wakes up through the night if Layla does need to go potty, but that hasn't been for around a week.

I have read some suggestions that say not to give your dog water after a certain time at night. I haven't felt the need to do that and would rather not if I can help it.

Again, I am a first time dog owner myself so I don't have a lot of experience.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Gracie started sleeping through the night 5 days after we took her home at 8 weeks old. I think that is pretty rare. Lola didn't sleep through the night until at least 16 weeks, maybe even longer. She is 14 months now and occasionally wakes up during the night to go our. It probably won't be too much longer before you get to sleep until at least 5:00 to 5:30 am . Are you taking up her food and water a couple of hours before bed?

I am very in-experienced and I am learning as I go, my sister in law has been feeding her at 5am and at 5pm, so I am trying to do the same but then she starts looking for water after her last meal and I sometimes give it to her, she really doesn't have a set time when she sleeps, I am still trying to figure her out. Should I change her feeding times, I work part time in retail and my schedule always changes every week. Do you think I should set a time in the morning for her first feeding and 2nd feeding at night? and set a bedtime for her too? I just feel like I am getting up when she gets up and then I take her out and she goes out to do her business, and sometimes she does both. she doesn't cry, she just gets up and you can hear her for she makes a noise, not sure that I should pay attention to everytime she wakes up.

do you think I should have a set time for her to sleep and have her last feeding and drinking scheduled 2 to 3 hours in advanced? this way she already has done her busines and there's nothing for her to do during the middle of the night?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

When Blaise was that age he was pretty much done for the day at about 9:30 pm. We feed at 7:30 am and 7:30 pm (due to the need to have a specific feeding schedule for my older diabetic dog) but it's not really necessary to be that rigid normally. I would feed her in the morning when it is convenient for you. If 5 am is convenient - fine - if a later time works better - do that.

A mid day meal is a good idea with a puppy that age - but if you can't then feeding at dinner time is fine. I would try to get her out to pee before you go to bed for the day. You can also lift the water dish up an hour or so before bed time.

Typically puppies eliminate immediately after they eat.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lab fan is offline Senior Member

Our puppy Lucy is now 9 weeks old, and has been sleeping from about 10:30pm - 5:30 am for the last 5 days. But during the day, I am taking her out about every 2 hours or so. The only times that she has had accidents is after a nap or heavy duty play time when I haven't immediately taken her outside - and this has only happened a few times. She woke up at 1 am last night, and rather than run to her, I waited to see what would happen. She cried for about 5 seconds, then went back to sleep for 5 more hours. Our other lab slept through the night after about 3 days, but was much harder to train during the day. For weeks she would go out and pee, then come in and pee on the floor 5 minutes later. If I remember correctly it was at least a couple of months before she was completely house trained. Every dog is definitely different!

Coco has been really awesome during the day - as soon as she wakes up, I take her out. It's the night time I am concerned and wondering if I should just time it instead of automatically getting her to go when she's up. Last night I think I got up at least 3 times to let her potty and it's exhausting - I am not sure if I should just let her whine it out until she falls asleep again in order to start training her to hold it in f0r a few more hours. I don't mind getting up 1 time but 3 times is exhausting, I'm not sure if I am training her correctly.

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Spike has been really good. The first few weeks I got up in the middle of the night and that worked out well because I didn't have to get up early But the last few weeks getting up in the middle of the night and literally dragging him out of the crate to go to the bathroom was doing more harm then good. He seemed to be "off" on the next day. So I'm trying to let him go - he doesn't cry - even if it bothers me that he pees like Austin Powers in the morning because he is such a different dog. He goes to bed at 8 and I usually get up at 5 or 6. I don't take his water away but I'm noticing that he isn't drinking like he did weeks ago either. During the day he will sit by the door, he doesn't use his wee wee pads so much anymore but he will have accidents - usually between the doors that he goes out, our fault We don't take him out every 2 hours or anything like that, never did. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast