Tell me where my puppy stands...

Thread: Tell me where my puppy stands...

twsnow18 is offline Member

SmileTell me where my puppy stands...

I got Tucker a little early at 6 weeks due to some circumstances with the breeders but I have taught him a few things and he's doing very well (I think) as he is 7 1/2 weeks now. He can sit, lay down and come every single time I call. Tucker will also retrieve his tennis ball most of the time (as I just taught him this yesterday) from short distances, about 10 feet or so. As far as potty training, he knows to sit at the door most of the time, but if I dont get there in time he will potty in front of the door because I dont think he can hold it yet. He will sleep through the night until about 6am before he wakes up to go potty. Right now I have been clapping loudly while he eats to prepare him for the gun. This is my first puppy I have ever had and I would like to hunt with him. Will anyone experienced tell me where he stands compared to your pups/experiences. Anything I need to specifically work on to advance his training? When should i step it up to banging pots and pans in the next room while eating? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well...your dog will bond with you pretty tightly because he came to you much to young. He's going to miss out on critical socialization time with his littermates and his mom. But be it as it may, you will have a dog that is much more mouthy than others because of this and sometimes show more signs of stress when left alone. I know this because I have a dog that I got at 6 weeks of age...and as he gets older, he hates being left behind, even with another dog in the house. But this is my experience.

As for the noises...I never had to purposefully make noises to ready my dogs for hunting or guns. In my experience, all training is about being in control and not making a big deal about anything but things that they do right. If they are introduced to something and they are afraid, you ignore it like it is no big deal. They react to your reactions. None of my boys are gun-shy and are great hunters in the field. I just made sure I socialized them extremely well. I would recommend getting out to some hunt tests while the pup is young or getting with a training club so that he can experience it in a low commitment setting.

REMEMBER...he's a BABY....don't push him hard, make things fun and make him want to work for you. That is the MOST IMPORTANT things you should know right now. His recall will get worse again as he ages, you will need to exercise him more to take the edge off, and you can introduce bumpers with bird wings attached anytime.

Good luck.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Yeah you were pretty spot on about him whining when I leave and he is very attached to me. My friend got Tucker's litter mate Dakota and so I had Tucker over there for about a week with her. I figured it might help since we took them about 2 weeks early. I just have two questions, how do I work on biting people and shoes and stuff and teaching stay. I don't have any experience with those commands.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

biting will go on MUCH longer because he's so young. You need to redirect. Again...this is the result of them not learning bite inhibition from their littermates. Stay...well...that wont come for a long time...again...VERY YOUNG. Get to an obedience class when they are 12 weeks. It will be good for both of you.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Ok. I've been putting his chew toys in his mouth instead when he does bite me or things around the house. Perfect, I was planning on taking him to one in about a month. I think he is fairly smart though and progress might come a little sooner. I dont have much experience with puppies but he could sit, come and lay down every single time by 6 1/2 weeks. Oh well, you prolly know more than me but thanks a ton for your input.