Puppy won't eat breakfast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy won't eat breakfast

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy won't eat breakfast

I've been putting a cup of kibble in his bowl in the morning and filling as needed (he doesn't eat alot). Sometimes he will chow his breakfast like he hasn't seen food before - other times he won't eat at all - which makes his demeanor alot less obedient. He chews things he's not supposed to and doesn't listen as well as being very unfocused. The breeder said she was feeding him 3 cups a day but I'm lucky if I can get one cup in him, I decided to start taking his food away after an hour and I'll alternate hours for a couple of days so he knows whats going on. Any suggestions on how to get him to eat a healthy amount first thing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

How old is the pup?
    How long have you had him?
    Have you switched food from what the breeder was feeding him?
    Is it a new bag of food (or an old bag that has gone bad), that might be bad and the dog knows it, even though you don't

You might have one of those rare self regulating eaters.
    You might want to have a vet take a look.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    How old is the pup?
    How long have you had him?
    Have you switched food from what the breeder was feeding him?
    Is it a new bag of food (or an old bag that has gone bad), that might be bad and the dog knows it, even though you don't

You might have one of those rare self regulating eaters.
    You might want to have a vet take a look.
    12 weeks old
    we've had him for 4 weeks
    haven't switched food
    we get a new bag every week - the smallest bag we can

He was the runt - he seems so skinny but he's growing just fine...

If I ask the vet, it seems they always want to switch to Science Diet - what I am feeding is fine until I have questions lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He may be bored with the food. I picked up a can of wellness puppy and mixed in about 1/2 teaspoon with 1/2 cup of his food and he devoured it. Hope that lasts - then I can feed all the critters together

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Do you know exactly how much the puppy is eating daily? I am a HUGE fan of schedualed eating. It is good as you know exactly how much the dog is eating. PLUS, you know when they eat, which allows you to space the eating apart from the exercising. Less of an issue with a young puppy but as the dog growns you want to leave some room between meals and major exercise sessions which can be harder if you "free feed"

Personally:
    - i would NOT be changing the dog's food here and there for the heck of it - you may very well be creating a picky eater and this could become a very very bad cycle where the puppy will constantly "deman"a change.
    - adding "encouragement" to eat (the canned food - of course the puppy went for that) could cause a picky eater who will only eat when they get a "bonus" - which is ok if you plan to always give abit of canned with the kibble but if you do not (long term) don't just add it here and there.

But, at the end of the day do what works for you and your household
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike's Mom View Post
    He may be bored with the food. I picked up a can of wellness puppy and mixed in about 1/2 teaspoon with 1/2 cup of his food and he devoured it. Hope that lasts - then I can feed all the critters together

This is how you make a picky eater.

Are you saying that you free feed this puppy (leave it down all day and add to it)?

You need to make a feeding schedule - morning, lunch and evening and only leave the food down for 15 minutes. If he does not eat you pick it up and offer it again at the next scheduled time.

If you free feed it's hard to know how much he is eating in the course of the day.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

brody is offline Senior Member

a 12 week old puppy should be fed 3 times a day (or 4 if it lives here)

for me that means first thing in the morning, lunch, a meal at dinner time (ish) and a meal just before bed ... (lots of people aren't willing to get up in the middle of the night and skip the last meal - that's fine but my most recent puppies have had digestive issues and I find it more healing to feed more meals)

I wouldn't free feed a puppy - you may be able to do that later on if it's important to you but housetraining is just too hard when you can't control meal times

Nothing wrong with adding a bit of canned food to the meal - just be prepared to keep doing it
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I can keep adding the canned to the dry, that's not a problem. Heck I've been making the guinea pig a salad every night for the last 4 (?) years lol. I haven't changed his food at all. I'm not sure I'll even be able to continue with the mix in - I'll have to see if his poop is solid. He's very sleepy when he wakes up in the morning and will go hours without eating, that's why I left the food there. I would bring him to it and he would maybe eat one kibble and walk away. Some days 1/2 cup would start the day and there would be leftovers at night when I took the dish away. Since he ate "breakfast" he's been sleeping. Something I think he was needing. I hope he wasn't behaving really well just to get treats (2 kibbles of his food) because he was so hungry...It will be interesting to see his personality tomorrow after his belly is full today...

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike's Mom View Post
    I can keep adding the canned to the dry, that's not a problem. Heck I've been making the guinea pig a salad every night for the last 4 (?) years lol. I haven't changed his food at all. I'm not sure I'll even be able to continue with the mix in - I'll have to see if his poop is solid. He's very sleepy when he wakes up in the morning and will go hours without eating, that's why I left the food there. I would bring him to it and he would maybe eat one kibble and walk away. Some days 1/2 cup would start the day and there would be leftovers at night when I took the dish away. Since he ate "breakfast" he's been sleeping. Something I think he was needing. I hope he wasn't behaving really well just to get treats (2 kibbles of his food) because he was so hungry...It will be interesting to see his personality tomorrow after his belly is full today...
    Has he seen a vet? I'd be quite concerned about a puppy that lethargic.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

yeah I would be calling the breeder and the vet about him being "sleepy" in the morning. A 12 week old puppy should be full of piss and vinegar after a night's sleep. It may be a "quirk" of the puppy but I would want to illimanate any potential health issues first.

If he doesn't eat his food in the AM, I would personaly (after ensuring it is nothing health related) simply push back the meal completely but leave it a set feeding time (say, two hours after he wakes up).

Puppies shoudl sleep alot but in between there should be periods of high energy.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast