Recipes for very mild puppy treats?

Thread: Recipes for very mild puppy treats?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRecipes for very mild puppy treats?

Spike is ok with a few treats, others give him the poops. Does anyone know of any recipes for nutritious, yummy, mild puppy treats - something that can be cut into small pieces for training as well as possibly like a milk-bone type something to keep him busy for a few minutes. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Gracie and Lola love string cheese...no recipes though. Gracie and Lola have stomachs of steel.

brody is offline Senior Member

what ingredients work for him?
    little bits of the ingredients that are in the food that works best are probably the easiest and best bit

I slice chicken hearts for Sally and bake them on a low temperature on a baking sheet sprinkled with cheese ... they make a tasty treat that doesn't make her sick (and I can slice them into TINY pieces)

there are online reciepes for tuna and liver fudge - folks who love them swear by them too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Well - what did you feed that he had a problem with? There are a lot of pretty crappy treat items in grocery stores - like Snausages - I think that one is a petroleum product.

If you feed a quality small bone (like what Wellness makes) you should be OK. Or - just use the kibble you feed as treats.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Well - what did you feed that he had a problem with? There are a lot of pretty crappy treat items in grocery stores - like Snausages - I think that one is a petroleum product.

If you feed a quality small bone (like what Wellness makes) you should be OK. Or - just use the kibble you feed as treats.
    I was giving him Wellness training treats - they are 1 inch square but I divided them into about 9 portions - i could see the carrot pieces in his poop lol. He got some bones lat time he was at the vet and they gave him a mild poop problem. He loves Puppy Teething treats from http://www.n-bone.con. He can eat those all day with no problem...

His regular food is Purina pro plan and, of course, that is fine. We have been using those kibble as treats for now - not a bad thing - but I'm waiting for him to catch on that he's not getting anything special lol

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Yeah, we use kibble on Malone, he will go crazy for it! Or even little bits of cut up veggies. We haven't bought treats in ages! Labs are pretty easy to treat...

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sometimes it is about the quantity. with Rocky when I first got him if I gave him too many treats, or too many of a variety of treats, his stomach would act up.

also use treats with the fewest ingredients -to be safe.

not sure if it will work for your pup but when Rocky has really upset stomachs and we had training classes I used cherios. or cherios soaked then baked in beef broth.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky