New Puppy, Need Advice Please! :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy, Need Advice Please! :)

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew Puppy, Need Advice Please! :)

We got our Puppy exactly 3 weeks ago today. She is 11 weeks. She is black and her name is Bailey. We have been working very hard with her to housebreak her and we have followed what the books said, but she just does not seem to get the idea that she is not suppose to go inside. We do everything right (I think). We put her in her crate for an hour or so, take her out and immediately put her outside and praise her after she has gone, we bring her in and let her have her little space we created with baby gates around the living room, we take her out once or twice more if we see her start to sniff or anything like that and then if she does go we praise her again and let her have about 10 more minutes out of play so she does not think she is being punished right after potty time outside. Bed time is always 10 pm, and we take her water away at 8. We got a bunch of different books on labs and training and everything in there they say to do we are doing, but nothing is working. She just has no clue. She doesn't even try to let us know she has to go either. I know she is only 11 weeks and she is young but I would think after 3 weeks of this constant routine she would start to learn alittle? I will give you an example, last night around 930 she was laying where her food bowls use to be (she always lays on the hard plastic mat when the bowls are no longer there, by our slider door). She was laying own calmy for about 2 mintes when out of no where she just stands up and squats right on the plastic food mat!! No warning at all. She did not even stop off the mat, she simply stood up from lying position and sqautted. She then proceded to walk towards me like nothing was wrong. First off, isnt a big no no that dogs DO NOT go where there food is/goes? So as the books instructed us and this is a new method we are trying is to take her point to the pee and then tell her "No" and then put her in her crate for the time it takes you to clean up the mess. We just started this because before we were given the advice when you catch it in the act to swiftly pick her up and take her outside and let her finish and praise her. We have done that for 2.5 weeks now and that has done nothing. I just don't know what else I can do, that does not seem to be working. So a few of the books said to just point to the mess and say a firm "No" and put her in her crate for the time it takes to clean the mess up. Does anyone have any advice for us? Please? Any similar experiences? How long did your dogs take to be house broken? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

just keep her to the strict schedule and be patient. Bladder control is an individual thing, and some pick it up more quickly than others. Punishing her isn't really going to help much, and it MAY start her avoiding peeing in front of you. Some dogs are fully housetrained at 4 mos, some not until 6 mos.

You may want to ask your vet about testing for an infection.

Hmm. Would you consider pointing to the pee and saying "No" and putting her in her crate for the time it takes to clean the mess up a punishment? In one of the books the author says that since dogs are "pack" animals, it is like we are banishing them from the pack for a few minutes. I just don't know what to do. What type of infection do you think?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yes, its punishment - and you'll get further by interrupting and taking her outside to finish rather than time outs.

could possibly be a urinary tract infection if she's peeing more than usual - ask your vet.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey's Mom View Post
    Hmm. Would you consider pointing to the pee and saying "No" and putting her in her crate for the time it takes to clean the mess up a punishment? In one of the books the author says that since dogs are "pack" animals, it is like we are banishing them from the pack for a few minutes. I just don't know what to do. What type of infection do you think?
    Unless you catch her IN THE ACTION, I would not correct (and yes, what you mention above is a correction and will just confuse the puppy - they live in the moment so pionting to a pee spot from even 1 minute ago and saying no will just confuse the puppy). There is a saying - if the puppy had an accident, the HUMAN made a mistake. This is a baby, if she is having accidents it means you need to get her outside more often and supervise her more.
    If you do catch puppy in the action of peeing where she should not, make a loud sudden noise to stop the flow then quickly carry her outside to finish and REWARD if/when she does (big party)

alot of dogs either take a long time to give a cue (she is still very vry very much a baby here) when they need to go so you have to learn both the schedual (puppy has not peed in X amount of time so better go outside) or her cues (like you said, the sniffing, body language, etc)

some dogs just take alot longer than others. may also vary depending on what type of training breeder was doing.

Do you reward (BIG TIME) when she goes outside? When outside, do you watch to ensure she pees?

crate should not be punishment. not to say you cannot put pupy there when you need a break, but do so calmly without saying a word. do not scold a puppy them put them in the crate.

ETA: there is a reason puppies are so cute! so we keep them even when they make us pull our hair out and/or break down and cry in frustration!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

just out of curiosity, was the puppy raised in a kennel by the breeder, or in their house?

Tanya - Unless you catch her IN THE ACTION, I would not correct (and yes, what you mention above is a correction and will just confuse the puppy - they live in the moment so pionting to a pee spot from even 1 minute ago and saying no will just confuse the puppy). There is a saying - if the puppy had an accident, the HUMAN made a mistake. This is a baby, if she is having accidents it means you need to get her outside more often and supervise her more.
    If you do catch puppy in the action of peeing where she should not, make a loud sudden noise to stop the flow then quickly carry her outside to finish and REWARD if/when she does (big party)

^^^^ That is EXACTLY what we are doing. We catch her during act, bring her outside and praise like she just did a MIRACLE! And yes, we actually is going when we take her out, we see the pee. She pees alot, she drinks A LOT of water. It's never a full pee either, it's always a tiny tiny bit whenever she had an accident. We are always on top of her, she only has a little space she can play in in our living room, and we take her out prob anywhere from 3-6 times an hour. We are very on top of her. I understand she is a baby and it will take time, I was just alittle surprised by how much praise we give her and how often we take he out, that she is not getting it by now alittle bit. I know it will take time.

Kaytris- The breeder had an "outhouse" I would say, it wasnt in their house but it was like almost like a barn.

then if she doesn't have a health issue, it will just take this puppy longer to catch on. Some are great and catch on nearly on day 1 while others take longer to get it. Given she was in a "barn" type environment thr was no prior training (some breeders do start house training early, before pups go to their homes)

Can you start a log of when her accidents happen? there may be a logic to her accidents that can be hard to just notice offhand. Are they often around the same time, or around the same type of activity? It might be worth talking ot the vet, the little bits of pee here and there COULD be a sign of a UTI, which would explain why she isn't "getting it". Or maybe if it is little bits of pee she doesn't realize she is even peeing (this does happen - though if she does the full squat that may not be the case!! LOL)

ah.. that may have been part of the issue. Kennel dogs are used to peeing when and wherever in their run, with no need to learn bladder control. Although the puppy is of course very young, it would still have smelled past "spots" in the run, and not had any reason to learn how to wait.
    Just means you'll have a little bit of catching up to do. I'd still recommend mentioning this to your vet, a simple urine test will determine if there's an infection.

Any chance that this is submissive peeing, at times?

I was wondering about submissive peeing as well

oh and what are you using to clean the accidents? Some household cleaning products don't do a good job at remove the odor for a dog's nose, so they will still smell their urine (showing it is a pee spot to them) even if you cannot. Nature's Mircacle is a good one .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast