Botched Housetraining - how do I fix this?

Thread: Botched Housetraining - how do I fix this?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultBotched Housetraining - how do I fix this?

When we first brought spike home, for some reason, he picked a door to go potty at. He can't go out that door yet because it's not fenced in and there is enough room under the deck for a puppy to fit but not a human. I wasn't really crazy about the idea of paper training but figured since this was basically the only place he would go I'd use that as a starting point with an advantage and put a wee wee pad there. He rushes to the wee wee pad and has only had a couple of indoor accidents (unless he's on carpet then its a free for all). The wee wee pad got moved about 2 inches and I figured I'd see if he'd aim for the pad or just go at the door. He went at the door which made me realize that it doesn't matter that the pad is there. I've been rewarding him for weeks for going on the pad but I have to wonder if I have actually been rewarding him for going in the house. When it's light out we take him on the grass and when it's dark he goes on a different deck that's well lit (both different doors). He seems to always be peeing too - do puppies pee every 5 minutes (it seems)? Right now the nighttime door is where his food dish is located. Should I switch his food dish with his wee wee pad?

Also - would it be a good idea to put a carpet mat in his crate? He seems to treat carpet like grass trying to eat it and going wherever if we let him in the rest of the house. Would he be able to distinguish? How can we get him to distinguish?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

A couple of points ! providing he's not in the crate too long and the crate is not too big then if his bladder will allow then he will keep the crate clean.

Dylan was not completely clean pee wise in the house until he was 12 months old and even now he has accidents when he gets excited. Not a problem for me as my house is either laminate or ceramic.

You don't say how old he is ?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

He will be 11 weeks tomorrow. He usually falls asleep around 7 or 8 in his crate and then around 8 or 9 I close up his crate and shut all the lights and stuff. I get up around 2 and let him out, put him back and then get up again around 6 and let him out. If he has an "off" day and doesn't go to sleep till around 10 or 11 I'll skip the middle of the night and he does fine

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

can't you take him out the preferred door, on leash?