2 New Black Lab Pups... Any advice?

Thread: 2 New Black Lab Pups... Any advice?

twsnow18 is offline Member

Wink2 New Black Lab Pups... Any advice?

I am new to this forum and it is awesome! Me and room mate each just got 7 week old (I know, a little early) pure black lab puppies. One male named Tucker and the female named Dakota. They are adorable and so much fun. Technically this is the first dog I have ever owned as I am just 19. We live in an apartment for now but moving to a house within a year or so. Everyone it seemed has frowned upon us getting two as it is so difficult to train. We have had them for about a week and both can sit and come on command almost every time. One of us is always home to watch them. I want both of them to hunt and both are already really "birdy." They absolutely love to chew on the clipped Chukar and Duck wings I let them play with a few minutes a day. Does anyone have any advice at all about potty training, gun training or retrieving while they are young. Seriously any advice or information would be great since I am new to this puppy thing! Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Get them out seperately at least once a day. Make sure they each have seperate crates. Every single pair of littermates I've met have ended up with the same issue in varying degrees:

-one of the puppies is overconfident, to the point of being protective of their sibling.

-the other puppy is shy, retiring and relies entirely on their littermate for confidence in social situations.

-and both of them throw unholy fits when seperated from their sib, as happens in an obedience class and one person works with each dog.

So if you are committed to doing this right, each puppy MUST spend more time with the humans, seperately, than they do with each other. Otherwise you have a pair of puppies that are bonded with each other, and not with you.

Ok, similar stuff I've heard from others. Yes each one of us takes our puppy out separately to potty. They love to play and fight and stuff but I think I'm going to take Tucker to the house this week and separate them before they get too bonded. Neither of them have shown signs of those 3 issues yet, hopefully they don't but we play with each of them separately. They are on alternate schedules, one sleeps while the other one plays so its working out well thus far. How do I stop the issue of whining, both of them do it? Do I just ignore it

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

ignore it.

Wow!!! That's got to be more than a handful or maybe a dozen! I thought that having one new puppy in the house with three of us taking care of it was a huge committment! Good Luck to you!!!!

Ok, thanks for your advice its working already. They whine and don't like riding in the car at all. One more question, when we picked up the puppies the female, Dakota was so relaxed and all she did was lay down and sleep like crazy. Tucker was extremely rambunctious and playful and now a week later, I'm not kidding, their roles have completely reversed. He sleeps so much I don't know if it's healthy. Maybe I'm just a puppy newb.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

You will be busy, but sounds like you know what you're in for. It's a bonus that one of you will always be around! That will make it 10x easier.
    have fun and post pics!!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris View Post
    Get them out seperately at least once a day. Make sure they each have seperate crates. Every single pair of littermates I've met have ended up with the same issue in varying degrees:

-one of the puppies is overconfident, to the point of being protective of their sibling.

-the other puppy is shy, retiring and relies entirely on their littermate for confidence in social situations.

-and both of them throw unholy fits when seperated from their sib, as happens in an obedience class and one person works with each dog.
    If you are ever in Colorado, you are welcome to come by and visit my 2 littermates who aren't like what you described at all.

But separate training, just about separate everything, will help you have 2 well adjusted dogs. If possible, make sure that your dog is crated in YOUR room at night and your roommate's dog is crated in his room at night. When you are both gone, I would recommend them both being crated in their own space in their own room.

The playing and the bonding of littermates is alot of fun as long as you can raise them right.

I will be in Colorado in January actually. Can anyone address why he sleeps so much more than her though? And I need help getting him to recognize his name, he can sit and come without it though haha. Thanks a bunch guys.

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by twsnow18 View Post
    Can anyone address why he sleeps so much more than her though?
    Hello fellow Idaho resident,

It could be that he is just at a different stage of development than her, males and females can grow up at different rates, mentally and physically. Also, he may need more food to have more energy (but you don't want him fat). So make sure she isn't snitching any of his food, and that he is getting enough for his needs (measure it out and keep track of his weight gain and the amount of food he gets). You ought to get them a check up at the vet if they haven't had one already, like when you take them for shots, and mention his lower energy, there are health issues that will slow puppies down that the vet needs to check for.

It's only been a week, just keep using his name in association with calling him to good things like play, toys, and food, and he will catch on. You can practice it by having your friend hold the puppy across the room until you call, and you call him to you with his name, then you hold him and your friend calls. Reward with toy or treat and praise, repeat, but stop before he loses interest. I wouldn't think he would know his name yet, I've never had one that knew it after only a week.
    Last edited by ThreeTs; 12-17-2010 at 06:35 PM.