What in the world do I do with this puppy?

Thread: What in the world do I do with this puppy?

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat in the world do I do with this puppy?

We have a new black lab, Spike. He came home at 8 weeks which was about 3 weeks ago. We're doing ok with housetraining. Still working on the biting and stuff but I don't know what to do with him. I can sit on the floor with 10 toys around me to offer to him and he'll just be interested in biting my shirt. When we go outside he'll run alot and then search out rabbit poop to eat. I read about the "leave it" command to teach him but quite honestly - there are many times he seems almost spiteful doing something he knows he's not supposed to and looking at me while he's doing it. He is learning more and more each day but how do I keep his interest while playing. Even squeaky things lose their appeal quickly. We don't play tug-of-war because of aggression issues I read about.
    Also he sleeps in his crate at night with no problems as well as when we go out but I read if you put them in it they could think it's a punishment. There are times during the day when I know he needs a nap and the only way he will get it is if he goes into his crate. Would I be a bad person to put him in there for a couple of hours a day if I'm home?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

This is a very tiring time. Mine is now 6 months old and even though she is still full of energy it's not near as hard as it was at 12 weeks. So hang in there.

With mine, i stopped sitting on the floor to play. Something about being eye level with Aspen made her go CCCAAARRRAAAZZZYYY!!! Plus the older she got the nipping got worse when i was on the floor. Only thing that i was able to use that made Aspen stop nipping was a quick squirt of water in the face from a water bottle. Worked like a charm. Of course all dogs are different and you have to find what works for you.

Your little puppy is a baby and is not doing anything out of spite (don't worry i used to think that too) They aren't going to stay focused on one thing for very long. For example: I bundled up and went out for our play session last night. Aspen has a thing about eating ice, from the snow. So she as chomping away and i'm running around waving my hands trying to get her to play fetch with me. She finally gave up on the ice and played fetch...but not for long. I guess the ice was more interesting. So we took our play session inside where there was no ice to distract her.

As long as he runs a lot outside i wouldnt' be worried... rabbit poop i guess is more fun I would try to get to it first before him. As he gets older his attention span will increase... I play tug of war and it hasn't made her a vicious killer. However that's her favorite game and i won't play if she starts acting crazy.

Puppies need their sleep. If you put him in his crate a couple hours while you are home, I don't see it as a problem. Gives both of you a break. And eventually he will just go lay down and pass out on his own. But if he thinks he is going to miss out on something exciting why would he sleep???

Amanda

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

You aren't talking about leaving him in there most of the day...of course you aren't a bad person! Dinozzo is now 16 months old and we leave the door to his cage open all of the time. I'd take the cage out but he still likes to go in to chew his dentastix or when he just wants 5 minute's peace. There are more knowledgeable people on here, and I can only speak on my very limited experience but I think he regards it as 'his' space. When he first came home my granddaughter was told never to disturb him when he was in his cage...it's sort of his sanctuary, I suppose.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with playing tug.. it's a great way to burn off steam, AND it teaches self control, when played properly. As long as you are always in control of the game, able to stop it in a split second, tug is a wonderful game to play. If the dog touches skin, the game ends immediately and the toy goes away.

In order to teach a quick release, have a treat handy nearby - when you want to stop the game, give your cue "out" and immediately present the treat at the dog's nose. Give the treat when the dog drops the toy, and then play again - don't always immediately end the game.

GoPotty is offline Member

I understand how you feel and we are all in the same boat. Everyone knows what you are going through and there are current new members like myself (3 month old) going through the same thing. There are older members that are nice enough give us their tidbits & advice. It gets better and you just need to be patient. If you went through my old postings which, was only a few weeks ago you will see how much of a headache I had. I have a long way to go but I feel empowered these days that I can raise a good dog through my own research, this board, persistence and hopefully obedience classes in a few weeks.

My advice from experience:

1- Rotate his toys and keep his favorite ones to minimum play so keeps it fresh and exciting.
    2- Puppies might seem spiteful but they really aren't and it is just a phase. You need to start ignoring him or leave the room when he is playing too aggressive. You need to show the puppy your time is valuable. Keep in mind it doesn't happen over night you have to be consistent. My puppy used to growl at me and bite at my big toe and wouldn't let go. People kept telling me to stay consistent and tell her "no" and "squeal". One day out of nowhere she stopped but eventually she be back for more nipping when she starts teething again.
    3- I have given my pup time outs in her crate and she always went back to her crate to sleep. Time outs don't work for me so I stopped. You need to tire the pup out. I would suggest play fetch. All you need to is throw the rope a few times and he eventually catch on and have a treat for him when he retrieves it back. Once he starts retrieving add the commands "fetch" and "let go".

QUOTE=Spike's Mom;1525871]We have a new black lab, Spike. He came home at 8 weeks which was about 3 weeks ago. We're doing ok with housetraining. Still working on the biting and stuff but I don't know what to do with him. I can sit on the floor with 10 toys around me to offer to him and he'll just be interested in biting my shirt. When we go outside he'll run alot and then search out rabbit poop to eat. I read about the "leave it" command to teach him but quite honestly - there are many times he seems almost spiteful doing something he knows he's not supposed to and looking at me while he's doing it. He is learning more and more each day but how do I keep his interest while playing. Even squeaky things lose their appeal quickly. We don't play tug-of-war because of aggression issues I read about.
    Also he sleeps in his crate at night with no problems as well as when we go out but I read if you put them in it they could think it's a punishment. There are times during the day when I know he needs a nap and the only way he will get it is if he goes into his crate. Would I be a bad person to put him in there for a couple of hours a day if I'm home?[/QUOTE]

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThanks everyone

It's so nice to know there are other people in the same boat. I skim around to other posts but there are so many I get overwhelmed His growling has pretty much subsided - when we went to see his mom and dad and mom growled the owner grabbed her nose (gently) and started with "look at me" and then when they made eye contact she told her what the issue was. The puppies must have learned from that because when I did it with spike (and waited for him to look at me and not everywhere else in creation ) it didn't take long for him to stop growling.

Now I'm off to look for solutions for house training. I thought i was doing something good but I may have just been rewarding him for going in the house UGH.