Adjusting Puppy's Schedule

Thread: Adjusting Puppy's Schedule

GoPotty is offline Member

DefaultAdjusting Puppy's Schedule

Hey guys- My pup is three months old now and you are right about the biting phase, it has gotten better.

She is now in her loud barking phase, jumping and regress in a few training areas but I am working on it.

The only thing that is kicking my butt is waking up at 3am for the last 1.5 months. She used to sleep from 12-5am and I could deal with that. I would like to adjust my schedule for exercise and feeding to get her to sleep a bit later. I know the logical solution is to ignore the loud barking but my neighbor have been complaining.

My schedule
    4am- feed- let her go to backyard to relieve
    10am- fetch and basic commands for 30 min
    12pm- feed
    6pm- feed- walk 30 min
    11pm- fetch and basic commands for 30 min

Thanks

GoPotty

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Hey! Glad to hear Mei Mei is getting better! Yahooooooooooooo! Biting really DOES get better, if you stick with being consistent with correction. It pays off!

4am seems a bit early to me? She should be sleeping through the night (and that means till 6 - 7 am) except for quick potty breaks. Personally I would move her first feeding time to 6 or 7 a.m. Don't let her dictate her schedule. You have the right to make it.

When she barks during the night, is she outside? Is that why your neighbors can hear her? If she is INSIDE, I would get up, let her out for a quick potty break, and then stick her back in crate for the night. At 12 weeks, she can probably hold it for 3 hours at a time. Therefore, you can get up to let her out 2 x - roughly at 1 am / 4 am and then once you're both up for good.

Does that make sense?

Yahooooooooo is right Malone! I thought the day would never come. I hope all you new puppy lurkers will stay strong and have faith that your puppy will eventually stop biting.

The best thing method that work for me is to ignore her. I would come home after work and not even give her a pet or eye contact, take a shower, eat and then I would go play with her. I also stop eating in the kitchen. I think she finally realize that biting gets her no play.

No the puppy is in our kitchen with an open crate and a gate. We have a attached house so neighbors hear everything. I figure she can hold in only for 3 hours and reason why she would wake me up at 4am. I usually go back to bed but that is when she barks and whines and it is probably my fault that I go back down to either feed and play with her because I don't want my neighbor to get mad. I am going to have a talk with my neighbor and that is the only way this is going to be resolve.

Thanks for your input malone! Senior member!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Ha ha, yeah right - It's cuz I post so much - I think once you reach 150 posts you are a Senior Member.

Yeah< i hope you can figure it out... its tough when you don't want your neighbors woken up... bt you're trying to train puppy to hold it and be ok by herself...

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

I would think she should be able to sleep through the night. One thing that really helped Aspen is taking her water away at 8 p.m. Have you tried that? Aspen at 6 months pretty much is ready to wind down around 9 p.m. and we get up about 6:30-7 a.m. Maybe i just got lucky.

Also a heads up, the biting will probably sneak back up when she starts teeting. Aspen and I still struggle with that even though she stopped when she was younger but she doesn't bite as hard and I don't have marks all over my hand anymore.

Amanda

Manda- My exercise schedule isn't very consistent so usually at night she has pent up energy. Therefore around 11pm, I feed her a few crackers (charlie bears) and water to train her and we play fetch for 30 min. I walk her at 12am and usually she is good with doing her business. I just started doing this and last night I heard her whine at 2am and woke up with a pile of poop in the kitchen. My next step is to just play fetch and no treats.

She also just recently recovered from having soft stool, it wasn't runny but it was not formed well. I think she ate something like an itchy ball that falls from certain trees in the northeast. Wish me luck hopefully, she will grow out of being a nocturnal puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by mandaz000 View Post
    I would think she should be able to sleep through the night. One thing that really helped Aspen is taking her water away at 8 p.m. Have you tried that? Aspen at 6 months pretty much is ready to wind down around 9 p.m. and we get up about 6:30-7 a.m. Maybe i just got lucky.

Also a heads up, the biting will probably sneak back up when she starts teeting. Aspen and I still struggle with that even though she stopped when she was younger but she doesn't bite as hard and I don't have marks all over my hand anymore.