Housetraining Question

Thread: Housetraining Question

Boston is offline Senior Member

DefaultHousetraining Question

My 9 w/o puppy has been doing great in the crate. (only one accident)
    As for the house thats another story. Whenever she goes inside we take her out immediately and do not praise or play. When she goes outside we give her praise and treat when she comes in(only if she goes) She now will bark at the door if she has to go #2 90% of the time. But as for peeing she will just go on the floor.

Am i doing sdomething wrong?? Is she just still young?? Any advice???

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

2 things that may help:

1- After cleaning up the pee spot, go over it with Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) or "Nature's Miracle" to deodorize it and stop it from continually broadcasting a scent to pee here again.

2- I noted on the side of my fridge each time Puff peed (she was puppy-gated to the kitchen because of its tiled floor). She formed somewhat consistent "ruts" or times of most likely peeing which stayed fairly consistent until she established new ruts. That helped me be alert to times she was most likely to pee.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I can try the times. Though she seems to just go and the most random times. Sometimes right after coming in.

As for cleaning i use natures miracle but she goes in all different places innthe house not just the same spot

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cjmeck is offline Member

Are you taking her outside to potty as soon as she wakes up, after she eats/drinks, after a crazy play session, if she is sniffing around alot, and if it has been more than an hour or so? When she does potty outside, do you have a treat to give her right then and there? (I mean literally standing next to her and instantly treating her) Take her on schedule, don't wait for her to tell you, and praise like crazy. So, assuming you're cleaning up the mess with Nature's Miracle (good stuff btw) she should get the hang of it. I think most of the puppies I've had over the years where trained within a few weeks with this method. Hang in there!

Edited to say: I don't think my dogs reliably asked to go outside unprompted until after 4-6 months old. But the constant peeing the house was taken care of in a matter of weeks.
    Last edited by cjmeck; 10-23-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    Jennifer and:
    Boomer, yellow lab mix (born approx. March 2008)
    Rescued from kill shelter and home forever Sept. 2009

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to add that 9 weeks is just too young for the puppy to be physiologically developed to have the necessary muscle control. Many puppy will become more reliably house trained after they are 4 months old.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Quote Originally Posted by MnMsMom9902 View Post
    Just wanted to add that 9 weeks is just too young for the puppy to be physiologically developed to have the necessary muscle control. Many puppy will become more reliably house trained after they are 4 months old.
    thanks. thats what i suspected. I figured if I kept up with good habits she would get better with age!!

greg is offline Senior Member

BOSTON I DONT HAVE MUCH TO ADD YOU HAVE ALREADY RECIEVED SOME GREAT ADVICE.ONE MISTAKE I MADE WAS TO ALLOW MY PUP THE WHOLE HOUSE.THEY DO MUCH BETTER IF CONFINED TO ONE ROOM.

amandajean1 is offline Member

Maggie is 10 weeks old and has a very similar issue. She doesn't have accidents in her crate (cross fingers) and has not had a poo accident in the house in queit a while, but sometimes after I take her out and she pees, she'll come back in the house and go again. Ugh!!! I'm thinking I need to get some of that nature's miracle and clean all the carpet with it to get whatever odor is lingering there out! it's driving me nuts. other than that she's doing great though.

thanks for the tips. i mihgt try confining her to one room and see if it helps.

She is getting better though.

uhmanda is offline Member

AngryI feel ya!!!

I got a LAb last week that will be 9 weeks old Thursday. He pees randomly, it seems, in the house! I will take him out (every hour)and he will come in and pee in the hallway 5 minutes later (even though he went outside!). I have even found him peeing in cold air returns and heater ducts! But ATLEAST your pup lets you know he has too poo, mine just goes with no warning!! No sniffing, nothing! I know they cant really control their bowels right now but GEEZ,...this sucks!!!!