At what week should a new puppy come home?

Thread: At what week should a new puppy come home?

TBONZ is offline Junior Member

DefaultAt what week should a new puppy come home?

I've tried to search this question prior to asking, but had no luck. I would like to know how many weeks old should a puppy be, before he/she leaves the litter to come home. We expect to bring home a new addition to our Family this Sunday 12/12/10. He will be 8 weeks old on Monday and from what I've read that sounds about right. I'm new to this forum, but not to Labs. My Wife and I have owned Labs for over 20 years now. Heck, we had a Lab before we got married, our first child, so to speak. I was just reading up on Lab on my skills with some new books I got online and there was some conflict as to when the pup should come home between the two books. I also understand it is up to the Breeder as to when the pups actually come home, but I thought I would ask. Thank you for your advise.
    RIP My Best Buddy "Jasper" 11/28/97-8/18/10.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yellow Dog is offline Member

We took our 14 week old yellow lab puppy home from the breeder when he was 8 weeks old.

In our state, I'm pretty sure that it's against the law for a breeder to send them home earlier than that.

bett is offline Senior Member

not before 8 weeks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

8 weeks is the average for big dogs, small dog breeders tend to keep their puppies to 10-12 weeks. And I have to say I enjoy the 12 week puppies so much more, they have their teeth figured out by then and I avoid all the shark moments.

My labradors were brought home at 6 weeks because they were from breeders that didn't care. My first labrador came from a family that bred the family dog and my second came from a puppy mill breeder. I have gotten smarter since.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

As you've been advised - 8 weeks is perfect. Have fun with him! And - welcome to the forum.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

TBONZ is offline Junior Member

Thank you to everyone! Our new Yellow Labrador Retriever will come home on Sunday like I said and we all decided on his name to be "Wyatt". We had to laid our beloved Jasper down back in August (a yellow lab also) and have been missing something ever since. I know Wyatt will never replace Jasper, but he sure will help fill this whole in my heart. I will try and take some pics and post them soon. God Bless and Semper Fi.
    RIP My Best Buddy "Jasper" 11/28/97-8/18/10.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Wyatt is a great name!! Post pics!

lab fan is offline Senior Member

Our new puppy is coming home next weekend, and she (Lucy, the black lab) will be 8 weeks old!