Do we still need a crate?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Do we still need a crate?

  1. #1
    Cherry is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    28

    DefaultDo we still need a crate?

    Hi,

    When I got her, I couldn't afford a crate for Cherry but now I can. However, she has been very good in terms of housebreaking. We let her sleep in the spare room, she sleeps under the table and only rarely she pees inside (maybe once every week at max). In the morning we open the door at around 6 and she goes outside. We take her outside once at night for potty. Today morning I woke up around 8 and she was sitting next to the door barking at it (since we didn't open it at regular time). Despite me waking up late, she did not poop inside. Once I opened the door she raced outside. Very smart puppy.

    So my question is, do I still need a crate for her? Or should I just get an indoor bed for her?

    She sleeps on the carpet now and I don't think that's very comfortable for her.

    IF you think I should get a crate for her, do you think a crate of Length 92cm, Width 63cm, Height 72cm is enough for her?? Her dimensions right now are Length 60cm, height 60cm and width 20cm..

    thanks, I hope the question isn't too stupid
    Puppy details:

    Female Black Labrador Cross adopted from rescue shelter.
    Date of birth: 30th July 2010

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    bett is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    baldwin ny
    Posts
    3,248

    Default

    i think a crate is a necessity and not just for potty training. get the size that will accomodate the dog when full grown.
    it also worries me a bit that you say you couldnt "afford" the crate , as dogs can become expensive and often need unplanned vet care. then what?

  4. #3
    Jan's Avatar
    Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,086

    Default

    It really depends on your dog... I crated my lab till he was 11 months, when I was sure he was OK being left alone without causing trouble. I put the crate away, and have never used it since. I gate the kitchen though, he's never been reliable about that!

    If your dog is responsible while you're away (doesn't chew everything in sight) and is safely housebroken -- and you've got a relatively confined space or room for her -- I don't know if you really need a crate. Just my opinion!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    MicksMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    i think a crate is a necessity and not just for potty training...
    Me, too. A crate trained dog is less apt to freak out if it has to be kept overnight at the vet. Plus, they are safer in a crate when traveling, and, when away from home, will see their crate as a familiar place to retreat to if needed. Now, all this doesn't mean you have to use a crate at home, just that it would be beneficial to Cherry if she were used to one. Once our pups prove themselves trustworthy in the house (potty and chewing wise), the crate gets moved into the garage.

  7. #5
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    I agree wiht the above, crate training is useful for alot of reasons other than house training. In case your pup becomes destructive (even if they are not now), for travelling (always good to have a crate trained dog when travelling, some hotels/motels require it), if you ever go to a dog "even" (flyball, rally, obedience, dock diving, etc), if you ever need to overnight the dog at a vet's they are more prepared to be crated there, etc, etc).

    All my fosters are crated at first, and most are already house trained.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  8. #6
    lisa's Avatar
    lisa is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Hi,

    When I got her, I couldn't afford a crate for Cherry but now I can. However, she has been very good in terms of housebreaking. We let her sleep in the spare room, she sleeps under the table and only rarely she pees inside (maybe once every week at max). In the morning we open the door at around 6 and she goes outside. We take her outside once at night for potty. Today morning I woke up around 8 and she was sitting next to the door barking at it (since we didn't open it at regular time). Despite me waking up late, she did not poop inside. Once I opened the door she raced outside. Very smart puppy.

    So my question is, do I still need a crate for her? Or should I just get an indoor bed for her?

    She sleeps on the carpet now and I don't think that's very comfortable for her.

    IF you think I should get a crate for her, do you think a crate of Length 92cm, Width 63cm, Height 72cm is enough for her?? Her dimensions right now are Length 60cm, height 60cm and width 20cm..

    thanks, I hope the question isn't too stupid
    ^^^
    No such thing as a stupid question, I would get a crate that is large enough for when she is older. Lola loves her crate. I just think they are a good idea. It is a safe place for your pup when you can't be home. How old is your pup?

  9. #7
    Cherry is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    i think a crate is a necessity and not just for potty training. get the size that will accomodate the dog when full grown.
    it also worries me a bit that you say you couldnt "afford" the crate , as dogs can become expensive and often need unplanned vet care. then what?
    I've got health insurance for her but that's not really the point of this thread..

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    It really depends on your dog... I crated my lab till he was 11 months, when I was sure he was OK being left alone without causing trouble. I put the crate away, and have never used it since. I gate the kitchen though, he's never been reliable about that!

    If your dog is responsible while you're away (doesn't chew everything in sight) and is safely housebroken -- and you've got a relatively confined space or room for her -- I don't know if you really need a crate. Just my opinion!


    Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Me, too. A crate trained dog is less apt to freak out if it has to be kept overnight at the vet. Plus, they are safer in a crate when traveling, and, when away from home, will see their crate as a familiar place to retreat to if needed. Now, all this doesn't mean you have to use a crate at home, just that it would be beneficial to Cherry if she were used to one. Once our pups prove themselves trustworthy in the house (potty and chewing wise), the crate gets moved into the garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I agree wiht the above, crate training is useful for alot of reasons other than house training. In case your pup becomes destructive (even if they are not now), for travelling (always good to have a crate trained dog when travelling, some hotels/motels require it), if you ever go to a dog "even" (flyball, rally, obedience, dock diving, etc), if you ever need to overnight the dog at a vet's they are more prepared to be crated there, etc, etc).

    All my fosters are crated at first, and most are already house trained.
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    ^^^
    No such thing as a stupid question, I would get a crate that is large enough for when she is older. Lola loves her crate. I just think they are a good idea. It is a safe place for your pup when you can't be home. How old is your pup?
    Thanks for all the replies. I did order a crate today for the other benefits everyone mentioned. Lisa, Cherry is 4 months old.
    Puppy details:

    Female Black Labrador Cross adopted from rescue shelter.
    Date of birth: 30th July 2010

  10. #8
    GoPotty's Avatar
    GoPotty is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I actually thinking about getting another crate for the basement. My puppy is now three months old and she tends to go to bed early but wakes up at like 4am and barks and whines and this been going for the last few weeks. I am exhausted and the advice I been reading is that I should ignore it However, my neighbor has been complaining, so I think I might have to move the crate or buy another and put in the basement so that it can help with drowning out the bark sounds for my neighbor.

  11. #9
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoPotty View Post
    I actually thinking about getting another crate for the basement. My puppy is now three months old and she tends to go to bed early but wakes up at like 4am and barks and whines and this been going for the last few weeks. I am exhausted and the advice I been reading is that I should ignore it However, my neighbor has been complaining, so I think I might have to move the crate or buy another and put in the basement so that it can help with drowning out the bark sounds for my neighbor.
    If she goes to bed early (not sure what time that means) you may want to get her up and take her out when you are about to go to bed. That alone may solve your 4am barking puppy (who probably needs to go out). If you ignore her when she alerts you to go out housebreaking will take longer. Trust me.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

  12. #10
    GoPotty's Avatar
    GoPotty is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I admit my potty schedule with my puppy is really off. The last month has been really bad and I am exhausted. I used to take her out at night before I went to bed to the front yard where there is plenty of grass. Lately, we been letting her go outside in the backyard on the deck. She was fine it most of the time on the deck. The reason why I stop going to the front yard is that she would start biting the leash and eat the dead pine tree and leaves. I know for fact she ate something that slow down her digestive system. Her stools have been on the softer so I brought her to the vet and we were given meds but I still need to get a sample for them next weekend.



    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    If she goes to bed early (not sure what time that means) you may want to get her up and take her out when you are about to go to bed. That alone may solve your 4am barking puppy (who probably needs to go out). If you ignore her when she alerts you to go out housebreaking will take longer. Trust me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. To Crate or Not to Crate...that is the question :)
    By DieselsMommy in forum Training Tips and Puppy Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 06:22 PM
  2. How to crate??
    By frankie.a in forum Training Tips and Puppy Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 08:37 PM
  3. Fabric Crate VS Wire Crate (Travellers)
    By Tanya in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 06:57 AM
  4. mom says I need a new crate
    By Barnsley in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 03:29 AM
  5. crate bed
    By Barney and Bailey in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25