Advice needed on how to spend time with demanding pup

Thread: Advice needed on how to spend time with demanding pup

gerzig is offline Junior Member

DefaultAdvice needed on how to spend time with demanding pup

Our 4 month old chocolate lab, Lucy, is smart, beautiful, and friendly. She will sit, stay, lie down, fetch, and come when called (most of the time).
    The problem is she is alone in her crate on weekdays so in the evening she if full of energy and needs attention. This means that for 5 hours she cannot sit still, insists upon jumping all over us, etc. We go on a 45 min walk each evening, play fetch for 15 minutes and she has lots of chew toys. We spend 15 minutes each night doing some obedience training. I just don't know what to do with her for the rest of the evening as I can't get her to stop jumping all over me and she is wearing me out.
    Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What I would do for any behavior I don't like is to turn my back. That was very effective with my pup. If you are consistant and ignore when she jumps she will realize that doesn't work. If you give any attention at all when she jumps on you it will encourage her to do that whenever she wants a reaction. Good luck!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, what do you expect? She's been crated all day long and you want her to get her socialization and exercise in an hour? How unfair. I'm not saying that you need to spend every waking minute with her the minute you walk through the door, but you should make some minor adjustments to incorporate some attention/training at other various parts of the day if possible. Like in the morning before you crate her and you leave you could easily play hide and seek/training with her for 15 minutes, or wrestle with her. When you're done walking her and you're winding down for the day, that is a great time to teach her quiet time and spending time giving belly rubs, clipping nails and generally getting her used to being a dog. She's a puppy. She'll be like this for a long while yet. If you havent' signed up for a formal obedience class, then you should. That bonding time is great at helping to curtail the other issues with jumping and what-not
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    Well, what do you expect? She's been crated all day long and you want her to get her socialization and exercise in an hour? How unfair. I'm not saying that you need to spend every waking minute with her the minute you walk through the door, but you should make some minor adjustments to incorporate some attention/training at other various parts of the day if possible. Like in the morning before you crate her and you leave you could easily play hide and seek/training with her for 15 minutes, or wrestle with her. When you're done walking her and you're winding down for the day, that is a great time to teach her quiet time and spending time giving belly rubs, clipping nails and generally getting her used to being a dog. She's a puppy. She'll be like this for a long while yet. If you havent' signed up for a formal obedience class, then you should. That bonding time is great at helping to curtail the other issues with jumping and what-not
    This.

Think of her as a young child. Would you expect a child to behave any differently if they were housed under the same circumstances? Then you shouldn't expect it with a Lab puppy. Puppies are attention hogs and Lab puppies are the same if not more so.

Laura

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Yup Lucy is a normal little puppy! We also work weekdays and when we get home we EXPECT our puppy to be starved for attention and DEFINITELY needing some exercise. Plus, you have to remember, labs LOVE to be around people! She will be her most exuberant around you.

One thing that has GREATLY helped us - was to put our puppy in doggie daycare. He just went his 2nd time on Weds and let me tell ya - he comes home POOPED! Being around other dogs and getting stimulated is (imo) the best way to tire out a dog. Or at least ours. Ha ha.

gerzig is offline Junior Member

Dani,
    I did not expect to be reprimanded and called unfailr. I share much time, love, and energy with my pup. I fully understand her needs but thought I might ask for advice from those that are more experienced. A reprimand is not what I expected from this forum.
    GAry

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

The girl across the road has a dog-walker who takes Remmi (her chocolate Lab) for a walk...and he has lots of clients. If doggy day care isn't an option, perhaps a dog walker might be.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gerzig View Post
    Dani,
    I did not expect to be reprimanded and called unfailr. I share much time, love, and energy with my pup. I fully understand her needs but thought I might ask for advice from those that are more experienced. A reprimand is not what I expected from this forum.
    GAry

Tell me where I reprimanded you?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003