Is this Normal? Puppy Issues

Thread: Is this Normal? Puppy Issues

swanny320 is offline Member

DefaultIs this Normal? Puppy Issues

I have an 11 week old lab and so far things have been going really well with potty training. He has been going to the door (though not telling me..but I notice and catch him and take him out). His mistakes in the house have been minimal; however, when I put him in his crate, now and again he has pee accidents. I try to not leave him in there longer than four hours (I come home from work to check on him)...is this normal for him to be making mistakes or am I doing something wrong? He hasn't pooped in his crate and I can tell he is holding that because he poops the instant I get in him the grass. I'm new at this and I know he is still a baby but before I chalk up the peeing to that, I want to make sure I'm not messing up.

Also, I've had him for about a week and a half. He doesn't cry at night but when I put him in his crate to go to work, he cries and barks. If I put him in his crate while I get ready in the morning, he fusses and throws a fit, barking etc. I thought he would have stopped this by now but hasn't. Is this normal too? Any tips or advice? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

hey!
    I'd say that four hours is a bit long to leave an 11 wk old puppy in the crate.. So yes, it is normal for him to make mistakes, in my opinion...

From my own experience, Malone will often cry/whine a little bit if he hears us around the house, and he's in his crate. But at night when i stick him in there, he won't EVER make a peep, unless he has sudden case of diarrhea or something! heh heh. Sounds pretty normal to me. With Malone, initially (and even up to 12/13 weeks) we had to give him time to cry it out (ha ha, YES they are like little babies) - sometimes up to 10 min to calm down and know that he couldn't manipulate us in that way. They seem to grow out of it pretty fast. Here's hoping!

Are you in the house quite a long time before leaving for work?

swanny320 is offline Member

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I wish I could get back home sooner than four hours but unfortunately I can't. Poor guy. I really hate it. Well that's good to know it's MY mistake..I kind of figured. I'm usually not in the house long once I put him in the crate. I try to get out so he can't smell me or hear me. I hope he gets over that soon. It doesn't bother me as much as I worry that the neighbors can hear. Also, it's just painful to hear him cry and bark..I know he is unhappy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Our Hudler use to HATE to be re-crated after spending the night in his crate. Granted, as pups, with us working, it can't be helped. Maybe you can rework your schedule a bit to allow for some more play time and tuckering out the puppy time before you have to re-crate him. Then he'll just welcome the naptime and stop fussing.

4 hours and holding it for a pup can be a problem depending on the pup. I found that it was easier to initially put my pups in an xpen with some papers if they had to spend more than a few hours alone. Granted I often had ripped papers and still pee on the floor!

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

My 11 week old puppy is extremely active. Can you confine him to a room or two when you are getting ready for work? He's probably really bored besides wanting to be with you. Besides being in the crate while you are at work he's in it at night so he's probably got some pent up energy. This is such a hard time of year to have a puppy - the days are so short it's hard to go for walks or get some good outside time. I finally got the ok from the vet to take the puppy where other dogs are/have been and a trip to the pet store and a large bully bone and he has finally crashed lol.

brody is offline Senior Member

canyon and I do the same thing - If I'm gone for longer then I think they can hold it I put the puppy crate in an xpen with paper down so that puppy can lie in their bed if they want and piddle and poop far away from the crate - it slows housetraining down a little but not all that much and means the puppy learns to keep a VERY clean crate
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

So Bailey doesn't doesn't cry when I put her in her crate in the morning I get up a half hour early so she has an hour and a half out of her crate every morning before we need to leave for work. We play fetch so she gets tired out. When I put her in her crate she cries for a minute and stops. Maybe just a little more time in the morning will help?

BAILEY 10/1/10

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

When we got Layla at 8 weeks she could last 2 hours in the crate between potty breaks. My wife is an extremely light sleeper and is a stay at home mom so she does the getting up at night thing. As far as the crate goes, make it an enjoyable thing for the pup. Put treats in there for the pup and work with the pup a little at a time. Treats with the door closed for a very short time...then out and play....then treats with the door closed a little longer...then out and play...repeat. Now, my 14 week old gets tired at night and just goes to her crate expecting her night night treat and then goes to sleep. Now at 11 weeks she can last between 4 and 6 hours in the crate. I am so grateful that my wife can hear Layla wimper no matter how soft.