Furniture

Thread: Furniture

jetboater is offline Junior Member

DefaultFurniture

Our 6 month old lab which has been doing very well has all the sudden started chewing furniture He even chewed up his pad in his kennel? We only leave him in the kennel for 2 hrs or so at the most. Why all the sudden this change in him HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

He's teething. Most pups go through that phase of chewing while they're going through it.

When my dogs were pups & they went through it, I got a wet rag covered with pepper & wiped it along everywhere they were chewing. The pepper stays on the surface & is great for stopping it. I still have teeth marks in my dining table & chairs from one of my Pugs over 20 years ago.

More importantly, do the pepper trick on any electrical & phone cables he can get to. The last thing you want is for him to chew into a live wire.

You might also want to invest in some tough chew toys as a substitute for the furniture. They make an excellent distraction.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He's a teenager. Expect him to be a challenge.

You need to remove the pad from his crate if he has chosen to chew it - he really does not need it. And constant supervision is required. If you have not already, teach "leave it" to correct him when you catch him chewing on something inappropriate. And - do provide appropriate chew choices for him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jetboater is offline Junior Member

Thanks to all, we are learning together. He does have quality chew toys and the pepper trick sounds great. Thanks

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    He's a teenager. Expect him to be a challenge.

You need to remove the pad from his crate if he has chosen to chew it - he really does not need it. And constant supervision is required. If you have not already, teach "leave it" to correct him when you catch him chewing on something inappropriate. And - do provide appropriate chew choices for him.
    I agree. My boys did the most damage during these months. Don't let the dog lull you into a false sense of security. They start to act grown up, seem well-trained and obedient, and as soon as you take your eyes off them or not crate them when you go to the store, it's all over...

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Labradors View Post
    I agree. My boys did the most damage during these months. Don't let the dog lull you into a false sense of security. They start to act grown up, seem well-trained and obedient, and as soon as you take your eyes off them or not crate them when you go to the store, it's all over...
    ^^^
    Lola was great up until a few months ago...she is 14 months now. She never chewed anything, now she has chewed 4 pairs of shoes and she knows how to open the bottom drawer on the chest I have in my closet....time to hood and eye the closet doors