Potty Training New 4 1/2 months old

Thread: Potty Training New 4 1/2 months old

Fenwick is offline Junior Member

DefaultPotty Training New 4 1/2 months old

We took the advise on the general forum and got our beautiful 4 1/2 month old yellow lab yesterday, Jake. Jake has been outside in a kennel enviroment since birth and has not been house broken. Since we brought him home, he has not gone to the bathroom outside at all. I am wondering if he sees the house as his new, comfortable Kennel. We had him in his crate last night and woke up with him when he cried and let him outside several times during the night, but nothing. There are outdoor dogs around us and they start barking as soon as we go outside...I think this frightens him a little.
    He has urinated 5 times in the house and we have caught him and placed him outside immediately...when he gets outside he just sits at our feet. He has not pooped yet at all. He has been on 3 walks since yesterday afternoon, but again no outside elimination. The "good" news (I think) is that when he urinated it has been in the same spot which is close to our back door.
    Any advise?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Just spend 15 minutes outside with him and he promptly peed as soon as we got back inside.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Spend more time outside with him, and walkaround until he pees . If you go inside he has not gone yet, put him in his crate and bring him out again 10-15 minutes later. He needs to be 100% supervised when indoors uncrated.

Clean accidents with product that elliminates odor to the dog as well,some household cleaners do not do this properly

Move around when outdoors , preferably with pup on leash if is a potty putting . Movement encourages bowel movements and the leash keeps pup from being too too distracted.

Pup is likely used to peeing in his home/kennel so you may have to spend alot of time outside to wait him out.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! We did get one outside pee which we praised him for greatly. We have spent almost the entire day outside either walking on a leash or in back yard moving around. Hoping for a b movement soon!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

All I can add to Tanya's post is - - - be patient! He'll come around with consistency on your part.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Also, one other thing - anytime he DOES eliminate outdoors - either pee or poop - do TONS of praise - make him feel amazing about what he just did.

If you DO catch him peeing inside, quickly, but gently pick him up, even if he's midstream and bring him outside to his potty spot.

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

do you have him on a regular feeding schedule? my dogs I have raised have a bowel movement within 30 minutes after eating. I always struggle with pee accidents for the first 4 months...small pup equals small bladder. I am always amazed when someone tells me their 6 month old pup is completely housetrained. Don't give up he will eventually figure it out.
    With my last two pups I would set a timer for potty breaks and slowly lengthen the time as they age and potty consistently. I start at 30 minutes but if pup has an accident before I would shorten the time. lenthen the time if he doesn't.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

kaytris is offline Senior Member

what was the flooring in the kennel? gravel, cement, chips? If you can find a similar substrate, that might help. Also, "seeding' the desired area with previous mistakes might trigger the association. Otherwise, just keep up the three c's - consistency (in feeding/exercise schedule), constant supervision, and containment when supervision isn't possible.