Puppy wants to save me?

Thread: Puppy wants to save me?

DefaultPuppy wants to save me?

I have a 3 months and 10 days old lab puppy that loves to swim with me, and since I live in Brazil and is quite hot here, I swim with her everytime I can, so she spends some energy and all. But for about 10 days now, she started trying to save me everytime that I get in the pool. She jumps in and swims after me, biting and trying to grab me by the neck to get me out of the pool. Is this normal behavior? She only does this with me. I have a vídeo where she does it here: YouTube - Labrador puppy swimming , she does it at about 1:22 .
    I was wearing a white thing on my neck so she could bite it, because if I don't wear it she bites my neck and face searching for something to grab me. Please watch it and answer me, it is getting a little weird already, and she is getting more and more desperate everytime we swim.
    Last edited by JuliaAndTroia; 11-28-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Check my profile for pictures of my puppy
    Videos of her here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JuliaAndJorge

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I think she is trying to save you. or maybe just trying to retieve you. I have a chocolate lab that is jealous of the pool your pup has at his own home.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Have you taught her how to exit the pool using the ladder?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sams, yes, she does know how to get out using the ladder, but she seems to remember that only after she tried getting out by the sides of the pool and don't succeed.
    HersheysK'dad, she doesn't retrieve on earth very well, so I don't think she is trying to retrieve me.. maybe she really thinks she is saving me, but is that normal?
    Last edited by JuliaAndTroia; 11-28-2010 at 06:05 PM.
    Videos of her here:

kaytris is offline Senior Member

dunno the reason why, but you need to STOP this behaviour now. May be cute when she's 10 lbs but when she's fully grown and pushing your head under the water, it won't be much fun anymore.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

actually I don't think she's trying to save you - I think she's just being the typical, playful, overly exuberant puppy behavior. I noticed she didn't do the biting/goofing off when she FIRST swam up to you. But the second time she was a bit more worked up - and she did it then. ??

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

One thing we ALL forgot to mention. WE are JEALOUS that you are SWIMMING. In a pool. Outside.

She didn't do it the first time probably because she was still searching for some treat bits that I threw in the pool, haha... but after finding and eating them she remembered I was there. But she gets way more worked out if I am swimming for real, not just standing there in the pool. I don't know if that is playful, but it is worrying because as I said, when I take the white cloth of me, she will bite my neck and face very agressively, hurting a lot and making big wounds.

Hahaha, don't be jealous, I'd rather be in a colder place, it is too hot here, even for brazillians. hahahhahaha. But the pup surely enjoys having all the pool just for her..
    Videos of her here:

kaytris is offline Senior Member

sounds like she's just plain chasing you when you move quickly. Does she chase you and grab your leg or feet if you jog/run on dry land?

Couple things you can do - have her wear a harness and lead when swimming. When she makes contact, or even as she thinks about making contact, verbally correct her and redirect her to a floating toy.

I'd be doing lots of water retrieving as well, giving her something else to do in the pool

Yes, she does chase my legs sometimes, jumping and biting them very agressively ):
    I'll try what you said, sounds like a great idea, thank you!
    Videos of her here: