Anyway to stop barking when put in kennel?

Thread: Anyway to stop barking when put in kennel?

elctrcn9 is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnyway to stop barking when put in kennel?

Hi all, new member here. I will post pics and info later in the Introduction section. We have a new yellow lab pup for a week now. He is 10 weeks old. He sleeps in a kennel at night in our room. We were pleasantly surprised how he barked and whine for a few minutes at night and that was it. Past couple nights not even a peep. We get up twice a night for potty and he goes right back in. I had to run a quick errand today so I put him in his kennel and he did not want to go in but finally did. I came home about an hour later and he was just barking up a storm. Any tricks to calm him down in there? I don't want him freaking out the whole time he's in there. I was off last week with him but Monday I have to go back to work. So he's probably going to have a 4 hour stretch in the kennel then. We had another lab we had to put down two years ago. He was 11. Can't remember toomuch of his puppy stage for some reason. But I know he would bark in the kennel for quite awhile then stop. Would love to avoid that with this guy if possible. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

You can try putting a sheet over the crate to make it more
    den like and secure. Also, give him some toys to play with
    while in the crate like a kong with peanut butter in it !
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

OnestaOrganics is offline Junior Member

DefaultBefore...

I learned to make sure to relief themselves before being put in the crate. I also learned to feed them foods that make them thrive more while popping less :-) you can check out the treats I developed for old and young pups at For main menus we feed bones and meat or other fresh plus natural sources of calcium/phos. When we took in our pups 1.5 months ago, we had to get up at least 2x/night to have them relief themselves (the max was for a few days 6x/night after their last obligatory multi vaccination). At that time, they ate a 'holistic' (yea, right) brand (still from their rescue group), from which we switched them very! easily to real food. Less than 1 week after the switch their poops became marvelous and so did their moods because they slept through the night (and so did we :-) We also always make sure to feed them early enough in the evening, to get them pee before going to their crate and to exercise them enough. I hope some of this helps. Ours really enjoy their crate and I know they are safe.... Heidi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

elctrcn9 is offline Junior Member

We do have the top covered for him. We also make sure he potties before going in there. Came home after 45minutes being gone and he was barking up a storm. Tomorrow he has to be in there for 4 hours. I hope the little guy doesn't bark the whole time. We put toys in there too. Will have to try a kong toy. He had play time and a walk this morning before we left too. Hoped that would poop him out but I guess not.