New puppy owner

Thread: New puppy owner

Jessica1015 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew puppy owner

Hi!
    I have never owned a dog and my husband and I are about to pick up our new white lab puppy Gracie. I was wondering what advice you guys have to give me. I want to be prepared, help me out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GoPotty is offline Member

Welcome Jessica! Congrats on getting a labbie!

I am in the same boat never had a dog growing up. My pup is 9 weeks old so I have many questions as well. There are some fantastic people on this board that will give you great advice.

I would check out the 1st thread "our best advice", there are great resources on there.

Yellow Dog is offline Member

Welcome to the board Jessica.

Actually, we are in the same boat as you, as we picked up our yellow lab puppy about 3 weeks ago. We are still getting adjusted to having a new "baby" in our lives, but it's getting easier.

The first 3 weeks have been fun, but trying. Our youngster (Murphy) is getting much better with waiting to go outside to use the bathroom, but occasionally he still makes mistakes inside the house, especially when he gets excited.

Another thing that has taken some time getting used to do is the nipping/play biting. Murphy is very playful, and doesn't realize that his teeth are razor sharp right now, so he is still learning that when he nips us in the ankles or on the hands, it really hurts. We are trying to break him of this puppy habit, but it is taking longer than expected.

Congrats on the new puppy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

#1 - congrats! how exiting!
    #2 - do you have a crate?
    Get some sleep as the first few days (weeks) can be lacking in rest.

Look into some good books on dogs. They don't think like humans at all so it is good to have some guides and info. YOu can even get some at hte local library or second hand. I love "the other end of the leash" by Patricia McConnel But if you use the search function on the board (or just ask in antoher thread) you can get some more recommendation. Patricia McCdonnel aslo has a puppy primer book.

Natures Miracle - product to clean accidents (which always happen, part of life), it removes the odor which most household cleaners do not do.

Look into where it is safe to socialize puppy until all their shots are completed. You do want to properly socialize but dog parks and pet stores are not recommended as they carry alot of bad things for a puppy.

Kongs and nylabones for "good chew"

ask the breeder what htey are feeding and make sure ot have some of that to feed. Pups go thru alot of changes when they leave their litter so it is very much encouraged to stay on the same food

Ask your breeder where they are in the series of shots. Generally going to the vet soon after getting a puppy is a good idea, so if you do not already, start your vet research and maybe even book an apt.
    Be prepared to take the puppy outside every 2-3 hours (or more) to help with house training!
    Last edited by Tanya; 11-18-2010 at 07:00 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

lisa is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome...Congrats on your new puppy. Def check out "our best advcie".
    I would really recommend a crate, it is a way to train and ensure your baby is safe when she can't be supervised. Lots of chew toys, socializing your pup is very important and most of all lots and lots of love and patience. It will be hard work...but you will be rewarded with the best friend you have ever had. Good luck and keep us posted with lots of pics.

p.s. I have a yellow Gracie too...Lola is my black lab

Last edited by lisa; 11-18-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Jessica1015 is offline Junior Member

Defaultthanks

Thanks so much for the help! I'm really excited, and a little nervous but I know it's going to be a lot of fun. I will post pictures soon, and update you guys on our progress!

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Great advice Tanya!!!! You covered it all:P

I hope to see the pictures soon *-*
    Check my profile for pictures of my puppy
    Videos of her here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JuliaAndJorge

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome - Tanya's advice is super - and do check out "our best advice". And - gently - Labs come in 3 colors only - yellow, black and chocolate. White is not a Lab color - you have a yellow, perhaps selected for lightness. Just forewarning you - calling your Lab white on this board is going to elicit some commentary.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.