What is your exercise routine for lab puppy before shots?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your exercise routine for lab puppy before shots?

GoPotty is offline Member

DefaultWhat is your exercise routine for lab puppy before shots?

Hello All,

I just got a lab and she is about 9 weeks old.

My current dilemma is that the Lab is getting heavier because she sleeps all the time. I understand puppies get big fast and sleep but my girl sleeps like 20 hours a day. I feed her eubanuka large breed puppy food three times a day.

I like to take her for a short walk but she pulls on the leasch for me to get too far. She also doesn't have all of her shots so I been limiting the walks.

I play ball with her inside and dangle the keys to make her jump. Sometimes I give her the kong toy but she gets bored of it because I don't fully stuff it yet.

Can anyone recommend any exercises that you have done with your puppy before shots?

Thanks to all for your past posting and suggestion. I got her crate and potty train.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hey! I'm hoping so much you get some answers, because I have some trouble with exercises for my puppy too.
    Anyway, I have a 3 months puppy and she is completely crazy. She can't stand still and never gets tired, so here's what I do to make her less active: interactive toys, even homemade are great. Teach her many things. Mine learned sit, down, wait, fetch.. Oh! fetch is great for tiring her a bit. Running around with her is nice, she will follow you when she likes you a lot. And I swim a lot with mine, because she loves the pool since 45 days old... swimming makes her very happy, and tired.

How did you potty train her?
    Check my profile for pictures of my puppy
    Videos of her here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JuliaAndJorge

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

Since I can't start taking Autumn out until early December we just keep her busy with interactive toys and training. She loves her crate and doesn't have accidents. We've been wanting to get her into the pool since she loves the water, but the water's just been too cold. Other than that we take her my sister's house to play with her dogs (who I know are current on vaccines) to tucker her out and socialize.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I forgot to mention that I also run around with her in the yard (hey it gets my exercise in as well). She really enjoys it.

GoPotty is offline Member

Hello JT and Vanike,

Thanks for the tips. Fetch is something I need to teach her! I have no idea why I never thought that can burn some puppy energy. I got her to sit and stay. Down is a work in progress because she keeps biting my hand when I put the treat in the down position and her bum is always up. Leave it is next. I also saw a video where a owner taught her 10 week old puppy to close the cabinets.

I got lucky with the potty training and stay consistent with the schedule. I will let the pup out or walk her before she even needs to go. When I said I got lucky is that my pup would cry if she needed to go. She did have an accident today at the very same spot when I first got her. It looks like I didn't a better job with wiping down even though I use the nature's miracle. I might put down a wee wee pad just in case.

My puppy is hyper only when I exercise her. I know I need to do a better job with that. My pup would run around circles and growl and bite my sandals or pants legs. If she bites too hard and "no" doesn't work I would shake some coins in a tin can.

Did you folks do any classes yet or plan to?

Did you try brushing their teeth even though they are teething?

I just order a nail grinder so hope to cut her nails next week.

Autumn just learned fetch this weekend. I feel like I owe that mostly to her watching my sister's dog do it. So now that's another exercise option for us.

I do plan on taking her to classes for socialization and obedience purposes (even though she knows sit, leave it, down, shake, take it, and go to bed.)

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Outside, long lead so she can run in the yard. Through stuff for her to go get. Retrieving might be expecting too much at this age, but they should love to chase things. another neighborhood or family dog for her to play with.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Get her a treat dispensing toy that she has to roll around the floor and follow to get the food. There is one called a Busy Buddy Kibble Nibble. She will get exercise while she gets her meals. It will last longer than a kong toy and she will get more exercise from it.

You can use her kibble or a toy to lure her though obstacles like a cardboard box tunnel, between kitchen chairs, under the coffee table, etc. Lure her through tricks like roll over and crawl. Teach her to "target" (touch a certain object on command, not as hard as it sounds). You can also throw a piece of kibble one direction for her to run and get it, then another in the other direction, and so on (only on carpet or outside with good traction, you do not want her to slip and fall), use her name or command so she looks at you before you throw the kibble.

If I were you I would nix the jumping at the keys play. It is bad on immature puppy joints. And you don't want her attacking the keys in your hand when she weighs 60+ pounds anyway.

bett is offline Senior Member

she shouldnt be going on walks without her shots. it's really taking a chance. all games should be in your yard, if you are sure no other dogs come in it. or in the house. fetch, hide and seek, and as three t's has said.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Hey GoPotty!
    To answer a few of your other questions > yes we started our little guy on puppy school as soon as he had his shots - at 3 months. Best thing for him! Mostly because it helped socialize him with other dogs.

I would start brushing teeth asap! The earlier you start incorporating grooming, the more they get used to it. You can buy little tooth brushing sleeves (they look like thimbles) for puppy teeth and stick a tiny bit of doggie toothpaste on it. The puppy will likely lick the paste off, and then (while holding puppy) you can start gently brushing teeth.

Depending on how fast your dog's nails grow, you can likely clip 1/week. Just make sure to only clip the very ends, to avoid cutting the 'quick'.

As for exercising> the above suggestions are great! And it's ok if your puppy sleeps a lot - they need around 18 hours of sleep per day! You're doing great!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast