another one with barking trouble

Thread: another one with barking trouble

Defaultanother one with barking trouble

My lab puppy is very bright, she learned sit, down and wait perfectly, and I'm working on let go. She does play with my Lhasa Apso a lot, wrestling around and all, but some days ago she learned to bark when playing with the Lhasa. It was ok for a while but now she barks almost ALL the time, that horrible puppy bark, to get attention, to get in the house, to annoy the other dog... I read the other posts about it but I've been ignoring for a couple of weeks and doesn't seem to work at all... ain't there nothing else I can do?
    Check my profile for pictures of my puppy
    Videos of her here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JuliaAndJorge

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

puppymakes4 is offline Member

Hi JuliaAndTroia,

Yes, I posted just the other day about my puppy's barking. We started really ignoring it last night, and she barked 6 times in about 1 minute, and then gave a few disappointed-sounding whines before being quiet for a bit. She tried it on and off the rest of the evening, but each time she didn't get any attention for it. I'm hoping that she's smart enough that the lesson will be quick to learn.

As for your situation, I wish I could offer advice. I have read in some puppy books about tossing an aluminum can so that it makes noise right when they bark, but I don't know enough to recommend this method. It always seemed a bit odd to me to condition a dog to be afraid of a loud noise, but then again, I'm no expert. I've also heard of teaching the dog to Speak, and then the opposite, Quiet, so that you can control the barking rather than your dog being in charge.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Good question. Not sure I would do anything major when she is playing with another dog as I wouldn't want her to associate that "loud noise" or correction (be it physical or vocal on your part) to playing with other dogs (or just other dogs in general).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My friend suggested a strange collar called "bark stop", that makes a bad sound when the dog barks... but I don't like the idea of hurting the puppy ears.. I guess that's not a good choice, right? She keeps barking, and she moans a lot. Like, when I'm going to give her her food bowl, I always tell her to sit and then down, and wait when I put the food down. She always makes some "disappointed-sounding whines" while sitting or laying down, as if she didn't want to do that at all, my lazy puppy.. it's funny and sad, because it makes me think I'm forcing her to sit and get down ):, but that's ok, right? She obbeys, while moaning and giving a frustrated bark.
    Check my profile for pictures of my puppy
    Videos of her here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JuliaAndJorge

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by puppymakes4 View Post
    Hi JuliaAndTroia,

Yes, I posted just the other day about my puppy's barking. We started really ignoring it last night, and she barked 6 times in about 1 minute, and then gave a few disappointed-sounding whines before being quiet for a bit. She tried it on and off the rest of the evening, but each time she didn't get any attention for it. I'm hoping that she's smart enough that the lesson will be quick to learn.

yay!!