Getting a new lab pup this weekend. Just wondering what are some of the best puppy toys to get?
Right now I bought him a Puppy Kong but wondering what else.
Hmmmmm... in terms of chewing -I would aim for bully sticks instead of rawhides. They (rawhides) seemed to give my guy the runs when he got them.
Often the Dollar store has great rope toys that are actually quite durable. Kongs are great because they are so indestructible - and Kong makes a bunch of other toys as well.
I tried buying some small "Galileo" Nylabones for my guy, but he won't touch them... but that's just mine. He likes anything with texture that he can chew into.
A good quality ball is another great thing - to get them started on the idea of retrieving right away. Just don't let him chew the ball in his crate. In fact, don't let him chew much in his crate! Just this past week, Malone bit off the hands off a SUPER durable Winnie the Pooh toy I gave him. BAD MISTAKE. Thank goodness he pooped them out :P
We just got our yellow lab puppy last week, and here are a few of the toys he is romping around the back yard with:
1) Kong squeaker tennis balls
2) Chuckit Flying Squirrel...it's kind of like a frisbee......it's a little big for him right now, but he'll grow into it
3) Loofa squeaker stuffed animal dog toys
4) Empty 2 liter bottle of Coke (with the lid taken off)..... we found this toy by accident, but he loves rolling it with his paws
5) Kong...you've already got that
6) Puppy Nylabones.......our last dog wasn't really into them, but Murphy actually kind of likes chewing on them
7) Frozen wash cloth for teething
Congrats on the new puppy.
I wouldn't do puppy ones, I would get the regular ones. Frankie is 5 years old and still has all of his from when he was a pup. They are very durable!!6) Puppy Nylabones.......
"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"
We love the everlasting treat ball.
I just got a lab puppy last weekend. I got her the nylabone but the "puppy version" since the other one I bought was too hard and she wasn't too interested in it. She like the kong red ball but was running around too hard on the kitchen tiles so I took it away since it might be bad for her joints.
My puppy loves a good old white rag that is frozen in the freezer, helps with her gums and teething.
Let me know how your journey goes, I be posting frequently since I am in the same boat.