advice on crate training (among other things) a terrorist...I mean ummm puppy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on crate training (among other things) a terrorist...I mean ummm puppy.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Defaultadvice on crate training (among other things) a terrorist...I mean ummm puppy.

I am currently house and dogsitting for my cousin and her fiance. They have a 4 1/2 month old Shiba Inu puppy and I'm pretty sure he works for evil forces. Anyway...he is NOT crate trained. They tried it when he was younger (ie: when they got him home) and he tried to chew the bars and made his gums bleed so after not even 1 week they stopped and he has had run of the house ever since. He doesn't go to the bathroom in the house while they are gone, only while they are home. She said they wanted to start crate training again and have started leaving him in there for short periods of time and asked if I would continue. So of course I said yes.

Today I put him in there while I was getting ready for school (about 25 minutes) and the entire time he tried to chew at the bars and dig his way out of the plastic crate pan. I put a frozen kong in there with him and he didn't even touch it. After he settled down for a few minutes I took him out, went outside where he did his business and came back in. While I was in the bathroom (not even 5 minutes) he peed and pooped in the living room. When I came home after his walk I put him the crate for about 10 minutes while I ran to my car and again he was digging and chewing.

What can I do to try and get him to stop? He isn't interested in the food (ie: kongs or treats) and I certainly do not want him to get hurt. Just now I had him in there for around 5 minutes...while I was sitting here on the bed checking my e-mail and he peed in the crate after having been out moments before being put in the crate. I took him outside, he just wanted to play so we came back in...went to go scoop the cat box (maybe 3 minutes) came back and he had pooped on the floor. He is also very mouthy...he bit at my wrist earlier and drew blood. I was not a happy camper.

Soooo any tips, suggestions, etc? This dog is driving me nuts! I know he is just a puppy, but it is clear that they are not consistent with his training and I am currently the one suffering the wrath of the crazy puppy.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

switch to a plastic crate with bars that are close together - less to chew in.

Start with the top half off - play with the pup in and around and through the crate, encouraging him to run in and out. Feed him in there. Toss toys and treats in it. Once he is merrily jumping in and out, put the top back on, but leave the door open. Repeat the process, until again he is happy about being near the crate. Then start tossing toys /treats in, shut door, open it immediately, and have a party. Work up gradually to longer times in the crate, making the crate the source of all good things.

Shiba's are an interesting breed - I hope they are taking him to puppy classes as well.

I didn't even think of that! They are in Ireland until Sunday so I will make sure to suggest that to them. Until them I'm keeping him attached to me wherever I go and I'll be spraying my wrists and legs with bitter apple. They have a very open floor plan in their apartment so there is nowhere to put a gate besides the bathroom or in the entry way to their bedroom...which is where I have him now.

I've heard that Shiba's are interesting, and Finn is the first one I have ever known. JP (the cousins fiance) has been researching the breed for years and knew he wanted a a Shiba. They have been socializing him very well, but he has not been to any training classes as of yet. My cousin has been trying to teach him the basics, but her fiance does not follow through. He knows "sit" and "paw"...I've started to work with him on "down" and "leave it" since I've been here. I may start to do "off" as well. He probably thinks I'm a drill instructor for dogs. haha
    *Stacey*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I have a friend who has one and says the dogs mind is more like a cat, very independent and stubborn. Consistent tough training is a must in her opinion. If they aren't on the same page they may have a tough row to hoe! Good luck for the rest of the week Stacey and good for you being the "drill instructor"-LOL Oh and how are your pooches doing?

Di, I would say that does somewhat describe him. He can be very independent but he also loves to be near his people at times, and he is the most stubborn dog I have ever met! I thought Penny was a hard head, this guy does not take a hint! I know they have not been very consistent with training (because they have told me!) so hopefully they start to buckle down soon or they are going to have a terror on their hands.

My girls are doing well. I took Finn over to play on Tuesday and he had a blast! I think Penny has a new bff, they played for almost 4 hours straight, only stopping to get water.
    *Stacey*

oh, and have you experienced the shiba scream yet?

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyandMolly View Post
    . He can be very independent but he also loves to be near his people at times,

This cracked me up because my friend says the same thing about hers, but when he wants to " be near his people" its on his terms- LOL

Glad to hear all the pooches are doing great, now we just need some pictures of their sweet faces

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris View Post
    oh, and have you experienced the shiba scream yet?
    unfortunately yes...quite frequently. He gets pissed whenever I am in bed or if I'm on the sofa and the cat is with me. It is the most godawful ear piercing noise I have ever heard!
    *Stacey*

Well, I must say this boy may be the devil but he catches on fast! I can now leave him in the crate for just under 5 minutes and he doesn't dig or try to get out. I started out by giving him a treat each time he went in, closing the door and then opening it a few seconds later. I'm afraid to go any longer than the 5 right now...I don't want to set him up for failure. Hopefully my cousin and her fiance will keep up with this. It has made such a difference!
    *Stacey*

good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast