Dominating puppy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominating puppy?

DefaultDominating puppy?

My puppy, a black lab with 9 weeks old, is very bright and learned already to sit, wait and bite less our hands (but she still bites). Still, I am starting to fear she is very dominant and even with my efforts to make her see I am the "Alpha", she keeps entering the house before me, jumping on me... how can I make her see I am the "Alpha", so she can stop doing those things? Oh, and when I come to see her she gets very excited, and even cries if I don't put my face next to her so she can lick and bite my hair and ears (and that hurts!).
    Check my profile for pictures of my puppy
    Videos of her here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JuliaAndJorge

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

sounds like a normal puppy to me? She's only 9 weeks and it takes time for certain stuff. If you don't want her to do something you can't give into her crying. Just ignore it. I don't think she is dominating, i think she is a normal bundle of energy that will take a lot of patience. Mine will be 5 months in a few days and she still has the energy. Still has the jumping problem (which is getting better), Was doing a lot better on the biting until she started loosing her baby teeth, so we are retraining on that. Rarely cries (cause i ignore her). You just have to be patient and consistant. As for entering the house before you, you will have to teach the wait command. I honestly don't really stress it. I've taught her to wait when leaving the house or getting out of the car for her safety. The jumping, she just wants to play!

I'm a huge dog whisperer fan (i'm guessing that might be where you are getting the "alpha" info) but a lot of it hasn't worked for Aspen. I think it's great for really aggressive dogs but for a puppy you just need to teach her what you want her to do and that takes time. Aspen can be a terror but i've found ignoring her seems to work better than standing my ground. Especially when it comes to the jumping.

You will find what works for you and your puppy! Hang in there.

Amanda

Thank you Amanda, I never had a dog that I was worried about training before, because I never had a big dog. My whole life I've dealed only with calm, very small dogs, like mini poodles and lhasa apsos, so I got quite desperate with my baby lab. I just love her more than anything, but I don't know how to treat her right, because I never had to train a dog before, because my small dogs pups never bit, jumped or anything like this. She is beautiful and wonderful, and I don't want my parents to get hurt because she jumps or bites (they are older), so I need some advice. Thank you for the advice you gave me, I'll try to work on understanding how to deal with her bad manners calmly So when do you think I must start training her? Do you think its useless to try to explain to her whats right and wrong now? She learned the sit command, the wait, the NO, the let it go, and to not poop or pee in the house (sometimes she misses that, but mostly she got it right)... I even have some videos of her here: YouTube - JuliaAndJorge's Channel ..
    Videos of her here:

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

look around for a good puppy kindergarten class, that will get you on the right track. (Truly Dog Friendly » About Truly Dog Friendly has a trainer search)

Puppies are hardwired to want to lick faces - watch a mom dog and her puppies, and the puppies are frequently drawn to lick and kiss mom on the nose. Your puppy is just wanting to do what comes naturally, and it has nothing to do with dominance

I will for sure check out your video's from home, I can't get on youtube from work.

No, i think you should start training now. She is already learning stuff so keep up on the work. Just remember she is a baby and might not catch on to everything right away. Aspen picked up on sit right away but sometimes it still seems she forgets, so don't get to frustrated if one day she has it and the next day she forgets, just keep working with her. As for the biting the only thing that worked for Aspen was a water bottle. I would tell her no and if she went back for me she would get a quick spray in the face. I only had to spray her a handful of times and then after that i just had to show her the bottle and she would stop. A lot of people will tell you to yelp like a puppy when she bites to learn she is biting too hard. I read, studied, asked, and the only thing that worked for her was the water bottle.

Aspen has been through puppy classes which were helpful but i think more than anything taught me that she's a smart as can be and she just has so much energy that we have to get out daily to have a good puppy.

I never had a dog before Aspen and the first month of getting her i was a basket case thinking i was never going to get her to stop certain things. Now we are in a routine and although we still have our off days and she still is a work in the making i have hope that she will be a great dog. I asked all kinds of questions. If you look at my previous posts i'm sure it will answer a lot of your questions.

One thing i did realize recently between asking what seemed to be 5 million questions on here, looking things up online, and watching shows is most don't completely agree and you have to find out what works for you. Also that i'm trying to hard and i have to realize she is a puppy even though she is 40 lbs now and she's not going to be perfect.

She will also hit a stage where she tests you and forgets everything she learned and you will have to just keep training. We are at that point now and i feel like somedays i could pull my hair out. Being calm does help. If i get tense she only acts worse. Sometimes i have to step away for a second. I love her to death but sometimes it seems like its never ending but don't worry it is.

So no i don't think at 9 weeks she is showing dominance. And hang in there, i'll be hanging in there with you!!!

Amanda

kaytris: I live in Brazil, and in my town there are no kindergarden classes, nor training classes.

Amanda: I will immediately try the water bottle when she wakes up (she is sleeping on my feet), thank you so much for reminding me of that. I am quite scared of that stage that you said. I hope it doesn't happen to my puppy ): I did a lot of searching online already, but now that you said that I'll try to not rely only on that. Thank you very much.

I also wonder what to do about toys or stuff to tire her up, she's got lots of energy but she can't go on walks yet because of her shots... I try sometimes to play with her tug of war, running around and even swimming, but that tires me way more than her hahahaha..
    Videos of her here:

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The notion that entering a room/building before the human is a demonstration of dominance is simply ridiculous. Please expand your reading to include the many current trainers and behaviorists who don't subscribe to outdated and destructive dominance theories. You can do a lot of damage to your relationship with your dog by trying to enforce your Alpha status.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

i took Aspen for walks at 9 weeks... I just didn't do so in high population places. You can start working on fetch. Hide and seek usually is good. Hide behind something and call her name. At that age she wants to be close to you so she will for sure come find you (of course do this in a fenced in area) Swimming is supposed to be really good exercise. Aspen will throw a toy around the room and chase after it herself. It's not easy to drain their energy that's for sure.

Amanda

BigBrownDog: Sorry, I'm here asking because I don't know much about it. If I knew enough I wouldn't ask and there would be no need for this forum, right?

Amanda: she doesn't fetch yet, she gets distracted too easily to concentrate on getting and bringing something. Sometimes she get it, but mostly she forgets the toy somewhere or take it and don't bring back. Hahahah loved the hide and seek idea, will surely try it. She swims a lot with me but I try not to force too much because she is till young.

Hang in there and just keep working with her. It's a huge adjustment having a new puppy at home. I watched your videos and she is soooo cute. Do her and the other dog in the video play a lot? That's another great way to burn energy. Like i said everyone will have different opinions and you have to find what will work for you and your puppy. There are so many different ways to train your puppy and i think i tried most of them but we found what works for us.

Mental Stimulation is also a great way to burn energy. Work on tricks for short intervals throughout the day.

Oh and the hide and seek game helps with recall. It teaches her to come when called.

Stay consistant but like i said sometimes they will act like they know nothing. Aspen just last night acted like she never learned a trick in her life. Today she's back to normal.

Amanda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast