Is it ok for an 8 week puppy to chew on a soup bone?

Thread: Is it ok for an 8 week puppy to chew on a soup bone?

Yellow Dog is offline Member

DefaultIs it ok for an 8 week puppy to chew on a soup bone?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it's ok for an 8 week old puppy to chew on a soup bone that we bought at the local meat market?

We are picking up our puppy in a few days, and was wondering if it would be fine for him to chew on this during his ride home in the car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I am not the best expert on this board, but I myself would think that may be a little too tough for such a small tyke? I started my guy out on a manufactured bone called Nylabone. They make them in different sizes depending on age & is just the right toughness for the little ones. While their milk teeth are sharp, I'd hate to think of a pup losing his teeth on a bone that is too hard. Diesel is just about 9 months & now I give him rawhide bones to chew on, I have yet to give him anything tougher than that even though he's lost all his baby teeth & adults are in.

Just never give your dog a poultry bone, from what I've heard they splinter which obviously would be hazardous to your dog's health!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not simply because marrow bones can be very rich and you don't want a puppy with runny poop right off the bat. I'd wait a few months for that. Nylabones are more appropriate - but he may not be all that interested in chewing on the ride home.

I like raw marrow bones. A lot of people feed raw turkey necks or chicken wings. Uncooked chicken bones are not harmful. I do not, nor would I recommend that anyone feed rawhide. It is a frequent culprit in intestinal blockages.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I like raw marrow bones. A lot of people feed raw turkey necks or chicken wings. Uncooked chicken bones are not harmful. I do not, nor would I recommend that anyone feed rawhide. It is a frequent culprit in intestinal blockages.
    Thanks Sharon, I didn't realize that there were issues with rawhide. As for the poultry bones, is it just the cooked ones that splinter? When it comes to bones that are not manufactured, I worry that they may be too tough for his teeth & one will snap off! Or do dogs just seem to know when to ease up?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No, teeth do break. A couple of people on the board have had to do dental surgeries on their dogs due to broken teeth in the last few months.

I don't like any kind of cooked bone - beef or chicken. Obviously chicken splinters easily but beef bones break too when cooked (or dried out). I let my boys chew on the raw ones until they clean the bone and I usually toss them not long afterwards. They usually have 3 - 30 minute chewing sessions before I get rid of them.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.