Puppy distracted by treats?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy distracted by treats?

UnhappyPuppy distracted by treats?

I have a Black Lab puppy, 2 months and 6 days old. I am trying to train her, but she only learned to sit and nothing else. Now if I have a treat, no matter what I say, she will sit and wait for the treat ): If I try to train her with treats next to me or on my pocket, she will smell them from a very long distance and won't concentrate at all on what I'm saying. I just don't know what to do, never had a big dog before and never trained a dog. ): Can someone help me? If you can tell me how to train her to do other things, please tell me too. I'm from Brazil and here clicker training is impossible, because clickers are unknown here. I'm trying to get nice information about labs and dog training, but it doesn't seem to work well with her..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

If your 8 week old puppy has worked out that if she sits and waits, she gets a treat...you won't have a problem training her! She sounds like a smart cookie.

Something you can try...to train her to lie down, hold the biscuit in front of her when she's sitting and lower it to the floor without letting go. Chances are she'll follow the biscuit down!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Suggestion 1: Find a puppy traning class near you and sign up. The Pup doesn't get trained, you get trained on how to train.
    Suggestion 2: See Suggestion 1

That said, your lab is a highly food (treat) motivated animal.

I will attempt to explain how to train down, since you seem to have sit accomplished.
    With treat in hand, have the dog sit. Then hand with treat (closed) you put in near dogs nose and lower hand to ground and forward from dog while saying, 'Down'. The dogs nose should follow the treat and the dog willbe down. Open you hand, let the dog take the treat immediately, and praise in your happiest voice.

Repeat a dozen times, and the session for today is over. NEVER give the treat is the dog does not comply.

Next session, which could me an hour later, go through the same routine for sit, and down. When you think the dog has it, probably several days, try the command without the treat at its nose. If the dog responds, treat and praise. If not, go back to the treat at the nose and work on it a few more days.

Once the dog masters these two, try 'Puppy Pushups'. Sit, Down, Sit, Down, Sit, Down. Treat and praise like crazy.

PS: Dog needs to be on lead when you are training. You have to have control.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with the above about taking a class but in the meantime

Don't treat the sit anymore. clearly she has that one, though she hasn't learned the command/word for it she has learned that if she puts her butt on the ground she gets a treat. be patient and wait for her to give another behavior to treat.

What type of treats are you using? Try using either a treat that is NOT as high value, or even just kibble.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thank you a lot for making me notice that everytime she sits I give her a treat. I will stop rewarding her for that. But she does know for the sound I make, I say "SENTA" wich means "SIT" in portuguese, and she sits. She also learned the command "NÃO" wich means "NO", so anything I say NO she stops doing. She already knows her name and comes when I call her. But she is quite stubborn with things she want, like my other dog food. If I don't put my other dog's food bowl up on a sofa for my dog to eat (My other dog is a Lhasa Apso), she will eat the other dog food, wich isn't made for her. I also have no idea on how to potty train her, and the chairs, tables and computer cables seem way more interesting to her than her toys, even thou she is got a lot of them. She is very bright and beautiful.

Sadly, there are no training classes in my city. Only people that charge you to train your dog, and everyone that I know that paid for that got a dog that only listened to the guy that teached, and not the owner, so I'm trying to do it on my own.. I just lost a wonderful smart poodle, 11 years old, that knew how to do a lot, sit, down, roll, fetch, but he was adopted and I didn't train him for that...so I'm kinda lost here.

For treats I give her Pedigree Biscrok for big dogs and Pedigree Marrobone! She is indeed very smart and hiperactive, I have some nice videos of her in my channel running around, swimming, etc. If you get curious check it out : YouTube - JuliaAndJorge's Channel .. I'm uploading new videos of her as I write this, so wait a bit to see her running around a interactive homemade toy I made for her (with my supervision)..

I'm sorry for my english and thank you guys for helping me.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

This is an infant. Be patient.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

One of my favourite training exercises:

Get a handful of treats and close it in your fist. Show your fist to the puppy so that it can smell the cookies.
    Crouch down or sit on the floor and extend your arm.
    Puppy will sniff and mouth at your hand trying to get the treats - wait her out, not letting her get at the food.
    The INSTANT (and I mean the first split second, initially), puppy backs off or breaks away from your hand, say "YES" and give the puppy one treat. Once she is immediately backing away from your extended hand, part two:

Wait until she looks at your face (even for a split second) before "YES" and reward. Part three would be waiting for increased length of sustained eyecontact, but for a baby puppy, 2 or 3 seconds is fine.

Keep sessions short and upbeat and fun. You might want to order some books/DVD's from Dogwise.com - I'd recommend McConnell's puppy primer or Jean Donaldson's latest Book/DVD, the name escapes me but something like "Train your dog like a pro"

Kaytris, lovely advice, I'll surely try that! Thank you so much.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

9 weeks of age is a little young to expect much. Be happy the dog sits and works for treats. When the dog is older, this will be of great advantage to you, but right now, don't expect anything.

I know I'm very patient and I'm trying my best to teach her even when young, because I found out that she is a brilliant puppy, but I am not harsh with her neither expect much, just do it for fun, to give her some attention and to see if she learns something already. Still, what would be the best age for training?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast