Socializing 9 week old pup with a cat

Thread: Socializing 9 week old pup with a cat

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSocializing 9 week old pup with a cat

We've had Sadie (our cat) for about a year and a half. When she was in her foster home she lived with other dogs (but does not get along well with other cats). She's a very hyper cat herself that plays fetch and runs a bit crazy sometimes.

She's been very curious about Autumn since she's come home. Sadie's ALWAYS in the same room as the puppy watching her at a distance. When puppy sleeps Sadie will come up to her and lick her paw or if puppy is asleep in the crate Sadie will sleep right outside it. So I know she's not really too scared of it (it's a 2 story house she has plenty of rooms to hide).

At this point we keep puppy on a leash when she's outside the crate so she doesn't get into too much trouble. When puppy is full of energy she attempts to play with Sadie by hopping toward her (which understandably makes Sadie scared). Sadie's reaction is to swat (without her claws, she just hits with the pad of her paw) or run. Either way, pup thinks she's playing.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to socialize a hyper puppy with a cat? When pup is calm Sadie has no problem getting close/not running. It's when pup runs toward her that she reacts which further riles up the cat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

pop Sadie up on a chair or ledge when the puppy is feeling crazy - i'm glad you are present for the interactions - keep that up but if Sadie is up above eye level of puppy she'll feel more confident and be less likely to take off

Sadie wil probably pop puppy in the head a couple of times before puppy gets that playing is on cat terms not dog terms .. and that's ok ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I agree, get her a level up & she will start to realize that is all she has to do by herself in order to get out of the way. But so far, it sounds like they are doing really well together! If you can get a pic of them sleeping near each other that would be great to see!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, right now she's been perching on top of chairs and the couch to watch from above. This weekend Autumn has finally learned to jump up on them, but it takes a few tries. I know it'll take some time, and I'm really thankful they're getting along so well. I don't have a picture of them sleeping near each other, but I've included a picture of their first meeting.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

OMG! The curiousity in Autumn's face is just priceless!!

Things have improved drastically the past couple of days where kitty isn't too skittish while Autumn is awake. That is, instead of dashing past the pup she'll walk slowly. Yesterday Autumn gave kitty a lick on the thigh which kitty wasn't a fan about but she did not react. One issue did pop up today when I was standing near the water bowl (with pup on her leash) and pup made a jump for kitty's swinging tail. Pup gave it a little nip before I got between them. Kitty let out a hiss (first I've EVER heard her hiss), but did not swat or run. Following that little fiasco I placed pup in the crate for bedtime, and gave Sadie some extra attention and love.

Making progress! Kitty attempted to sleep next to a sleeping pup. It didn't work out since pup woke up immediately and scaredy cat jumped away.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Oh seriously, that is way too fricken cute. I just love Autumn... such a sweetie pie.

I'm curious to see how my pup does with our friend's cats when he meets them in a few weeks....

Sarah11287 is offline Junior Member

I wish we were making as much progress with introducing our cat to the new puppy!