Training to ask to go out

Thread: Training to ask to go out

labwrangler is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraining to ask to go out

Freddy goes to the back door when he needs to go out, but he doesn't bark or whine. He hasn't had an accident in the house in a long time (he's 16 weeks old), but we watch him very carefully and take him out whenever he looks like he needs to go. Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching him to make some kind of noise when he has to go out?

Alfred (aka Freddy), May 2010

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Bells ! Hang some bells near to the back door that he can ring !

Didn't work for me but I know other members that have trained their dogs to do this !

Mine just look at me and as soon as they have my attention rush to the back door !

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Good question! Toby is the same way, he is doing really good but at times I go to the back door and he has peed. I was thinking about the bell method but with my luck he would EAT it.

Good luck! I will be so glad when Toby is 100% broke.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labwrangler is offline Senior Member

I've heard about the bell method but I'm kind of afraid of what may happen - eating the bells, ripping bells from wall, constant bell ringing - you get the picture!

Our old girl Bella would just sit and stare at us and sometimes flap her jaws to make a subtle noise. Maybe Freddy will end up doing the same, although he can certainly bark when he feels like it.

Will wait and see if anyone else has suggestions.

Alfred (aka Freddy), May 2010

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Princess ate everything in sight when she was a pup. But we still were able to train her to ring the bell. We started by taking her out as we always did...but stopping at the door and ringing the bells - helping her to ring them with her snout.... and praising her to high glory.... then we would take her out for her buisness and bring her right back in, so she would associate all this with going potty and not just going outside. It did not take long before she was ringing the bells herself and she never bothered them other than to ring them. She has been ringing ever since. Still have them up and now she rings them if she feels so incline.....sometimes now she will just stand by the door that has the bells on them......not the door we go out to potty - but I get the message and will tell her to ring the bell and most of the time she does...think she is just pushing me around.