Walking my lab

Thread: Walking my lab

JaxChocoLab is offline Junior Member

DefaultWalking my lab

I am just wondering if this is normal and how to handle it.

When I take Jax for a walk to the park, we are not there 5mins and he sniffs around and cries, walks a bit, sniffs and cries again. He refuses to pick up a quick momentum so we both get some exercise. Why could he be crying and what can I do about it?

He also refuses to drink any water that I take along for him. I've resorted to taking his water bowl from home and he will drink from that, but just a bit, not enough at all, for as thirsty as he seems. He seems very thirtsy when we haven't walked much at all.

Last but not least he will sometimes, on very rare occassions pee in the park. He has never pooped at the park, or anywhere else for that matter. I've tried taking him for walks around town as well. Same with the constant stopping and crying and sniffing, panting, but wont drink, and will NOT pee or poop.
    When we finally get home, he makes a run for our back yard and goes there if he needs to and will drink water from his bowl at home.

How do I make this better? Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

He is crying at the park or on the way? Do you see why he is whining? At something? in pain?
    on leash or off leash?

What happens when you move faster and use a happy tone to get his attention?

Sounds liek a shy pooper/pee-er. Did you scold him as a pup for having accidents? Did you really do a happy dance when he went outside? It may not be your fault but he is afraid (or unwilling) to go around you it seems. I would reward when he does to, and try sometimes to go for long walks when you know he will need to go if you have to to find a reason to reward (and give a command)

Lots of dogs are picky about what they drink from (This is a good thing!).
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-25-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Dogs will often not pee/poop in public places when they are shy/lacking confidence.

How old is this dog? Could he have joint pain?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Dogs will often not pee/poop in public places when they are shy/lacking confidence.

How old is this dog? Could he have joint pain?
    The other thread about eating poop said the pup was 6 months old
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks for the tips Tanya.

He is crying in the car on the way to the park as well. I really don't see why he is whining. I start out slow, let him sniff around, see if he feels like going. He doesn't seem to be in any pain or anything. Also, he wants to stop and climb up on every park bench and just hang, but that is happening when we haven't even strolled for 5 mins.

If I move faster I end up tugging him and the whining starts up.

He is an amazing puppy. I can count on one hand the times he had accidents and I'd read not to scold them if you don't catch them in the act. Honestly, I wouldn't have anyway b/c it turns out we needed just as much training as he did. With 2 kids in the house and a crazy summer schedule, we tended to forget when it was time to take him out, but we learned quick after a couple of clean ups. I did crank up the praise when he went outside and he loved it. I also tried using a "code word", OUTSIDE. So now when I ask "Jax do you need to go outside?" he'll either got sit by the door (means he's gotta go), or curl up by me (he doesn't).

He has a very friendly and sweet demeanor so it could be that he is just shy.

He might also be whining in the park b/c he wants off the leash, that is definitely a possibility but he is a puppy, and I don't feel comfortable letting him lose in the park. Also, that still wouldn't explain the whining in the car both before and after the park.

I hope he is not having joint pain! He's 6mos old. It probably is that he is shy. How can I help him overcome that? Any tips?