Eating poop!!!

Thread: Eating poop!!!

JaxChocoLab is offline Junior Member

DefaultEating poop!!!

Hello,

I am a first time puppy owner to my 6mos old chocolate lab. He is the best and I'm so happy I have him.

The problems is that he eats his poop. ALL of it. Actually, he eats everything out doors; twigs, grass, dirt, chew on pebbles and rocks, etc... and many times he throws up at during the night, stuff I can't really make out what it is. He won't eat his puke, thank goodness, but why is he eating his poop, and what can I do about it.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated. I have a 7yr old son who LOVES to be all over him, they love to be all over each other, but I can't allow that if Jax is eating his poop, and my son althoug he understands, gets upset.

Thanks in advance,
    Veronica

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

From what I gather on this board, eating poop is fairly normal. Murphy is a poop eater! UGH!! The only thing I have found that prevents it is immediately picking it up when he or my other dog goes. Helps prevent my kids from stepping in a pile anyway. =)

As for eating other stuff, you just have to watch, watch, watch. Labs are usually chewers and will get their chompers on ANYTHING!!!!! They usually outgrow it, somewhat so hang in there. =)

Congrats on your puppy and hang in there.

MurphySullyHogan

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

Yep i agree with murphsmom, pick it up right away. I have a thing connected to my leash that holds poop bags and every time she does her business i pick it up. My puppy is 3 months old and picks up everything. I just have to watch her and stop her if I don't want her in something. I also do a final mouth look before we go inside each time.

Amanda

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

eating poop is normal, I HIGHLY recommend that for the next while you pick it up as he goes (yes I KNOW that is a bummer). If you nip it in the bud earlier hopefully he will grow out of it, but if you don't take action fast it will become routine/habit and harder (impossible) to break.

there are things you can feed a dog to make it less appetizing but those work on few dogs (stuff like pineapple, or putting hot spice on it). Otherwise you work on recall and leave it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

JaxChocoLab is offline Junior Member

Eeeek!! I was hoping for better news!! Can't they get sick from eating poop? Oh jeez, I guess I'll be picking up the poop immediately. I'm tempted to try the pineapple, but not willing to take the chance that he'll eat it anyway.

Thank you all so much for your replies and please keep any tips and advice coming!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

if there is a parasite or something in the poop they can get sick, but if the dog is healthy then no, it is just gross. If they eat their own poop and there isn't anything in your yard then no, they won't get sick from their own poop. I think with wild animal poop there is a higher risk (or the poop of a sick dog)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain, one of my lab eats poop. We tried putting the bad tasting stuff in his food (from the vet) to get him to stop but didn't work. He has slowed down on it though. I notice he goes for it in the morning but not at night which is in an improvement. As much as it sucks, its best to pick it up right away, thats what we do works like a charm.
    Hunter & Chrome

kassabella is offline Senior Member

None of the additives worked for us. Best and only thing is pick it up as soon as they do it. As Tanya said try and nip it in the bud so they wont do it or teach leave.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Dani is offline Senior Member

picking it up. Rookie is a poop eater and used to only do it in the winter, but he's been doing it throughout the summer too. I pick it up regularly and it seems to have taken care of the problem for the most part.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003